Friday, November 4, 2011

"I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was six. Mother took me to see him in a department store and he asked for my autograph." SHIRLEY TEMPLE

Well, well, we made it to Friday, and today is that day so many have longed for, right now, here on this November 4, 2011. This morning we are pretty close to some frost on the pumpkin, that is, if we had any pumpkins around. It's currently close to 35 degrees and very refreshing. I just have to tell you that I never thought I would be the headliner to a sold out show. Three of them to be exact. That's right. All three sessions for the Santa appearances are sell outs including the one on Sunday with Mrs. Claus. What's that you say? It really isn't me, it's Santa who is the headliner? Okay. Let's get one thing straight. Do you think Charlie McCarthy ever showed up by himself? Not hardly. He was the dummy and it took Edgar Bergen to make him come alive. For our younger readers, Charlie is a very famous ventriloquist's dummy, and Edgar Bergen was the comedian ventriloquist. They performed from back in the 1930's through the 1960's. But, you do get the point. It may be Santa they are paying to see but without you know who, then what? I was kind of hoping they wouldn't sell out the Sunday afternoon session. That's when the Mrs. makes her first appearance as the First Lady of the North Pole and I didn't want her to be too overwrought by any adoring and exuberant fans who might just show her too much attention, out of respect for me, of course, and then she might begin to think she is the star, or something. I'm just trying to save her feelings. I had better stop now because my mom always tells me that she thinks that while I may be kidding, this feigned jealousy just doesn't sound right and she would never want my wife's feelings to be hurt. It's a joke mom. I promise. You know I don't care about things like the spotlight. It doesn't matter to me one bit....it doesn't matter to me one bit....it doesn't matter to me one bit! See?

I have been getting myself up to date on this year's most sought after toys. May I go on record here as saying that I believe toys that mimic a real product like a cell phone or an IPAD or other electronic devices should be paid for by the people who will eventually charge them for the real item. Different top ten lists have different toys but there are some that find their way on nearly every list. The Nerf shooting guns are very popular including the one called the Stampede ECS. My grandsons have known this for a while now. There's a garbage truck called Stinky that kids are loving. According to the experts it is a good interactive toy and parents will be pleased with it. My only hope is that it doesn't send the wrong signal that it would be cool to hang out on the back of a garbage truck while talking on your imitation cell phone. Just kidding. There are Pillow Pets this year that can be shaped into different animals. The X-Box is still popular along with the many games it plays. There are lists of educational toys. We got into those once. I think most parents do. They are okay and they do make the parents feel better but typically they aren't so much fun for the kiddos, and, after all, that's what the toys are all about, you know, the kids from one to 99. I wonder if they have any Nerf armor protection? We may need some around our place.

I am excited about the upcoming holiday season. So many wonderful memories compacted into these few days. We first and foremost remember The Reason for the season. Thanksgiving and Christmas. Both are directly connected to our faith in God who has provided all that we have, and blessed up abundantly, and even more importantly, sent His Son to die on The Cross for us all. That's enough to fill any thankfulness quotient. In addition, we get to walk down memory lane and think about holiday seasons since the very ignition of our memories. Family, faces, fun, love, food, laughing, happiness, and a sense of being blessed. These are accentuated by the sights, sounds, and smells that help trigger these precious glimpses of those days gone by. We also have the present. The time we desire to spend with those nearest and dearest to our hearts. One reason we do this is to plant seeds. Sends that go down deep into the hearts and one day will blossom forth in a flood of precious recollections. Thank God He provided for us to enjoy these moments in time as we also look forward to seeing our Savior and being in His presence for ever and ever, Amen. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday, and Lord willing, I'll see you next Monday again, at our regular time, on this same station. I was just thinking about sitting in that overstuffed chair and looking at that line of children, as far as the eye can see. Does anyone know if those Doan's Back Pills actually work?                  ......More later.

No comments: