Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Giving thanks as a way of getting ready for Thanksgiving!

Hello and welcome. It is Tuesday, November 8, 2011, and I am looking forward to Thanksgiving. That's because, Lord willing, our family will try to assemble and enjoy a day of feasting and fellowship. That's our tradition. On the other hand, being thankful and having a thankful heart and spirit, well, that has to come from the inside out. I've known some very positive people who demonstrate a very positive attitude. But, real joy, in my experience, comes only from knowing the Lord God of heaven through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. Adopting ten principles of how to live a positive life may work in some respects but only the thankful heart that knows God can genuinely demonstrate His love and an appreciation for what He has done. But, alas, far too many of us, yes, including me, at times tend to lose our grip on living out an attitude of gratitude. We, like the Apostle Peter, can become distracted by the stormy waves that at times surround our lives. Jesus at the end of the Sermon on the Mount gave the illustration of the winds and waves hitting the house. The winds and waves hit both of the houses He described, the one built on the Rock, and the one built on sand. Some folks take on the Christian life as if they will not have to undergo trials and difficulties. Wrong! However, if we have our life grounded on our Savior and His words, His instructions, and His admonitions, then we will be best equipped to show forth real joy as we live in a constant awareness of how privileged we are to be God's own dear child. These are some pretty good things to consider as we seek to bring a thankful heart to our Thanksgiving celebration. Amen.

Did you hear that collective sigh that echoed across the Sabine River last Saturday night? That was the entire state of Louisiana exhaling all at the same time after first ranked LSU beat second ranked Alabama in overtime. Talk about a hard hitting football game! I only made it through three quarters. I had had a long day with the Santa stuff and I could feel myself becoming all agitated and stirred by what was happening on the field of play. I had to make a decision. To stay and watch would have guaranteed me a difficult time of getting to sleep. I know that. I've been there, done that, too many times before. Why I let sporting events like that bother me, I don't know, but I do know that it does, therefore, I made the decision to get out while the getting out was good, for me. At 5 a.m.Sunday morning I logged into the computer and saw the final score and read about the great victory. For all my extended family and those who went to sleep wearing purple and gold, I breathed a sigh of relief as well. I'm sure the other folks involved in this contest felt quite differently about the result. So much hype. So much hysteria. I really can't see the balance here and there is no end in sight. Watching the people in the stands, it was apparent that men, women, boys, and girls were living as if they and all they believe in was on the line. Kids from all over the United Sates populate both teams, therefore, hometown becomes in the eye of the beholder. I, for one, believe that line between college and professional was obliterated a long time ago but for the most part it continues to be held as if it still exists, and I suppose it is in everyone's interest to play along, like those who complimented how great the Emperor's clothes looked. Just some of my thoughts in passing, or running, or maybe even kicking about this billion dollar plus business that we call amateur athletics.

I don't think I'm being overly cynical because if anyone would stop and think about it, it does seem a little over the top at times, most of the time. But, as they say, most of us have bigger fish to fry, closer to the home front. That would be the doing of our day as best we know how, with God's help. I was standing next to a fellow the other day and I asked him how things were going. He told me he was about to go under just trying to get his kids back from Child Protection Services. He said something about what happened to his ex wife and they came and got the kids. Talked to another individual who is working extremely long hours in a very difficult job with little in the way of prospects for a change. That is, unless God intervenes. He believes that God is at work even in his difficult circumstances to provide for his best. That's right. He is in a really rough situation but his faith is in the provision of God. The man trying to get his kids told me he is not the man he used to be because he has gotten his life right with God. But that doesn't mean it is easy to convince the authorities. However, he also believes that God is at work in the situation involving his children that will ultimately lead to good, for him, and for them. That song we used to sing comes to mind. "Life is easy, when your up on the mountain And you've got peace of mind Like you've never known But then things change and you're down in the valley Don't lose hope for you're never alone" ~ "You talk of faith when you're up on the mountain Oh, but the talk comes so easy When life's at its best But its down in the valley of trials and temptations That's where faith is really put to the test" ~ Chorus: For the God on the mountain is still God in the valley When things go wrong He'll make them right And the God of the good times, is still God of the bad times And the God of the day is still God of the night." Some good words for Tuesday or any other day especially as we deal with the ups and downs and challenges that this life brings. Amen.       ....More later.

No comments: