Thursday, July 14, 2011

Today's Episode: "Close but no cigar!"

Welcome to today's edition on this Thursday, July 14, 2011, in what is fast becoming a fairly long series. I had no idea I would still be writing something after all this time. If this was a weekly TV series, I have now done enough episodes for a twenty year run. Me and Gunsmoke? Who knew? Joking only. But, let's get back to where the rubber meets the road. You know that world where actions speak louder than words and where we often find ourselves barking up the wrong tree. It's that daily grind where there's mostly zero tolerance and we just have to stay with it until the cows come home. I am not trying to steal someones thunder here, but as a rule of thumb it does pay at times to let sleeping dogs lie. You may think I am prone to a knee jerk reaction but knock on wood that's not how it is at all, because when it is all said and done, I really don't have an axe to grind. What would our communications be like if we did not have such wonderful figures of speech, idioms, and word pictures? They do bring color to an otherwise black and white world. Many of the ones I use are dated and I am puzzled how that newer generations seem not to have a clue when they hear them. Maybe the ones that make sense to them come from Rap music, if it can be called that, but that would be a no thank you from my way of seeing it. I don't have a chip on my shoulder about it but at the end of the day it wouldn't hurt them to learn that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Have you ever been fooled by one of those TV ads? I hate to admit it but it can still happen, even to me. I kept seeing that Subway commercial for that new turkey and avocado sandwich and it looked so good on the screen. As Jerry Clower would have said: "That commercial done flung a craving on me." I do enjoy avocado. As a diabetic you have to keep in mind that mantra of moderation that rules every food choice but I was attracted to that sandwich. Therefore, while my wife was out of town, I slid by there one day to get me one of those beauties. The young man was courteous. I first asked if they used 100% avocado. He said nothing added, avocado only. Good. I ordered a small one, moderation and all of that, cut the bacon, still on my best behavior, and then I watched him making my sandwich. The commercial showed about 1/2 inch of thick and creamy avocado. This young man put it on the bread and then scraped it until all that was left was a green stripe. It happened so fast and I was so stunned I didn't have time to channel that unhappy customer that we all have somewhere in the deep recesses of our mind. I carried my sandwich over to the table and threw it down, slumped into the chair, and began to consume it. I enjoyed nary a bite as that commercial kept playing over and over in my mind. Yes. I could have had them remake the sandwich. Yes. I could have probably gotten more avocado. Maybe it was because I was on my way to teaching my Wednesday night Bible study class where we are studying the Epistle of Joy, Philippians, where the Apostle tells us to be content, no matter how little avocado they put on your sandwich. You never saw that version? You do need to get out more is all I can say. I'm not sure why I didn't complain but I will tell you this: While every cloud may have a silver lining I can assure you that not every avocado sandwich will have much of one at all!

Some of you think that is pretty funny. And, while I can laugh about it now, it certainly wasn't that amusing at the time. So much of life is like that. Things don't always go our way. We live in a world where there seems always to be a source of irritation, that is, if we let it get to us. I saw some of our grand kids the other day doing their best to irritate each other. Whether it was making noises or just staring, it could create a ruckus. What did Granny Mac and mom always tell us? Ignore them and they will eventually quit. Of course depending on which one it was, a good lick upside the arm seemed at times to shorten the time frame for them to quit. Yes. We are all wound up tight and you see it everywhere you go. People falling apart for very little reason. I've seen some of the most God fearing folks go almost berserk because a waiter made a mistake or something wasn't to their liking. It was almost like a Jekyll and Hyde situation. We all are capable of doing exactly the same thing. We, as believers, should be restrained in weighing our responses becasue we have the Spirit of the Living God who helps us to maintain a testimony before a world that tends to be ready to explode at a moment's notice. Easy? Never! But with God's help we will look back and perhaps even be able to write a funny little story about it. Have a great day and may God bless each one. Amen.    ...More later.

No comments: