Friday, July 8, 2011

Only Robinson Crusoe had everything done by Friday. ~Author Unknown



It's open mouth and insert foot Friday, July 8, 2011, here where like the song says, "...Prettiest town I ever seen, Folks down there don't treat you mean." Not really. But that tune came into my cranium from somewhere and I decided to share it anyway. Finally. I finally found a real life Rosie. That iconic image of Rosie the Riveter from WWII, (not WW eleven as one teacher said when she introduced a veteran to her class), of that woman with her sleeves rolled up heralding the slogan: We Can Do It! For the first time ever I actually read about a lady who actually was a riveter in the big war. I was reading through the local obituaries and came across the one for Virginia Hagan, aged 89. Here's what it had to say about her: "Virginia was a riveter on the Douglas aircraft while her husband was overseas during World War II" This lady was beloved by her family and recently preceded in death by just a few days of her husband of 70 years. That is a 'wow!' no matter how you look at it. I've seen that poster hundreds of times and now I have come in contact with a lady that actually fulfilled that role. May God bless all those who left their homes to go and work in the plants and factories while the men were sent off to battle the enemy. That was not Virginia's only distinction. Probably of even more lasting value, the write up went on to say this: "She was a loving wife, mother, grandmother, good friend and neighbor to all who knew and loved her." And the media tell us we just can't seem to find good role models today. Maybe they are looking in all the wrong places my friend.

There are days when we are strung about as tightly as Dick's hatband. How tight is that and who, by the way, is Dick? Good questions. I've heard that expression all my life and I've looked it up before but thought why not share it again in today's episode. Here is what the Word Detective website has to say about it:  "Tight as Dick's hatband" is primarily a Southern expression here in the U.S. I say "here in the U.S." because, according to Robert Hendrickson's "Whistling Dixie, A Dictionary of Southern Expressions", the phrase actually originated in Great Britain. The "Dick" in question was probably Oliver Cromwell's son Richard (1626-1712), who succeeded his father as ruler of England. Richard's brief reign, a matter of only seven months ending in his abdication, made him the object of popular contempt and the butt of many jokes. The unfortunate Dick's "hatband" was his crown, and the "tightness" was the discomfort and apprehension he was presumed to have felt. Variants on the joke at the time included another phrase sometimes still heard, "queer as Dick's hatband," referring to the preposterous course of Richard's reign. "Tight as Dick's hatband" made the leap across the Atlantic and took up residence in the American South, where, the Cromwell saga being largely unknown, it was taken as a folk expression denoting extreme tightness or, sometimes, stinginess." You really didn't care to know about that saying? I like knowing about it because it shows how a saying originates and crosses the ocean to become a local expression, most likely with absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of where it actually came from. I ask you, do we live in a great country, or what?

Another work week is coming to a close. I've had a busy one in many ways. My wife left me last Sunday but thankfully she returned on Thursday. I signed up for a medicare advantage plan. I worked with the satellite TV people to understand better why the receiver/dvr stays so hot even when it is turned off. Their explanation: It's because the fan runs constantly to keep it cool. But, when it is turned off, why would it need to have the fan running at all? I unplugged that buddy while I was away and yes, it did have to go through some resetting to get back in sync but no humming and no heating. I actually had seen a blurb on this one day about these huge draws on electricity that we might not know about. I plan on putting a meter on this one just to see how much it is drawing while we are asleep. The fan must run 24x7 even when the system is not in use? I'll just have to tell you, I'm having some trouble with that one. I did a little cleaning at the house while mama was away. She will gladly concurr with the 'little' portion of that claim. I talked to my mom every day, just like normal. I talked several times to my sister up in the Dallas area. I touched base with all the boys nearly every day. I participated in our local Church business meeting. And, I did my thing here at the workplace, so, all in all, a fairly crowded schedule, at least in spurts. I know you most likely were busy also and believe me, I would never try to out busy others, because we are living in a time when most people are going just about as fast and furious as they know how. I do have one suggestion: Sunday is coming, therefore, find a local fellowship where believers meet and show up. That's a wonderful place where you can slow down a little and maybe even get refueled for your next busy week. Until next time, may God bless each one. Amen.               ......More later.

No comments: