Monday, July 11, 2011

Am I becoming the Rodney Dangerfield of Christmas?

Us with our youngest son's children.
Hello and welcome to an early start here on Monday, July 11, 2011. But sir, you do the early start every day, don't you? That would be correct but I thought I would throw it in there anyway. I am glad I'm not the only one who gets up and goes early. The other day one of my readers sent me an email to let me know about a fairly serious spelling blunder. I was very happy to go and fix it while most of the rest of the distribution list were fast asleep, maybe with visions of sugarplums dancing in their heads. Speaking of which, I continue to get inquiries regarding Santa appearances for the upcoming season. Now that is what I call planning ahead! Word is getting around that Mrs. Claus might be available. The lady overseeing one of the big venues told me they were thinking about an approach to incorporate Mrs. Claus because that would be so neat. She said they were thinking about offering a breakfast and perhaps Mrs. Claus could then read The Night Before Christmas. After that some photos and mingling time. Hello? This is not Snow White and while I may be a little on the short side, I'm not one of the seven little fellows. And, by the way, what ever happened to the sled driver fellow, who is, after all, the magic of the Christmas fantasy? I'm not becoming paranoid but Santa is more or less the main attraction here. I am right about that? Right? I sent the lady a photo of Santa and Mrs. Claus together. I think it made it worse. Perhaps I should prepare a personal appearance contract that spells out where the spot lights are to be pointed. This preoccupation with the supporting cast could get out of hand. It bears watching and I will keep you posted.

I heard yesterday that the big budget summit in Washington D.C. at the White House did not produce any progress. Surprise! Surprise! Based on all the ugly talk both sides do before their meetings, it's a wonder they are even able to agree what day it is. Ah, but that's where the politics come into play. Since calling each other names is how the game is played, I'm sure they are very cordial when they sit down to talk. That, to me, is another reason people get turned off to the charade game that goes on at a time when many in this country are struggling. Those without jobs and without daily necessities for their families have no time to be trying to see who can out insult the other while putting on a show of smiles and handshakes in front of the camera. The ordinary man on the street is not aware of the intricacies of the debt ceiling and how that impacts our economy. However, he and millions upon millions more are well aware of what the shenanigans in our nation's capitol have brought to them. Very little in the way of opportunity. Very little in the way of jobs. Very little in the way of even being able to see a way forward. I know it's complicated, difficult, and all the other words they use to excuse the current status. However, surely we have someone who can rise above the fray just long enough to do something for the good of America as opposed to continuing to play this very unentertaining game. That's the way I see it and I pray that God will intervene for the good of all of our people. Amen.

Who said I wasn't on top of current events? On a much lighter note, so to speak, where do you turn to find a source for a smile? I can pick up one here and there listening to my satellite radio in my car. I always check to see what is playing on the Old Time Radio channel. I challenge anyone to listen to those old programs by George Burns and Gracie Allen and not find something to smile about and at times, you just get to do that laugh out loud thing that is so popular today. You know: 'lol'. How about 30 minutes of clean comedy from the likes of Bob Hope, Jack Benny, Fibber MaGee and Molly, Our Miss Brooks, or William Bendix starring in The Life of Riley? Sure. Most of the humor is dated and there are some current events included that may be out of reach for most of us today. However, funny is funny because people are funny, then, now, and forever. I would much rather listen to some of these than to try and figure out what's so funny from comedians today that have to have every other word bleeped out. Sorry. I just don't get it. And, typically, none of us need look any further than ourselves for some outstanding comedic relief, that is, if we are willing to laugh at our own comic adventures. I crack myself up sometimes. It may take me a while to share a funny on myself but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it privately. I heard a interview with one of the Shuttle Astronauts who had recently retired from the program. They were talking to him about the end of the Shuttle program as we know it. One of the questions dealt with the impact of him being in space so many times and how that had influenced his life. He explained that when you are up there looking out at our world, the beauty of our universe, and all of that grandeur, you can't help but to come back to earth with a sense that the many little things that typically bother us is truly not worth our time and effort. In other words, don't sweat the small stuff, and I would add, learn to laugh at yourself because life really is too short to miss out on all that comedy. May God bless. Amen.    .....More later.

No comments: