Thursday, July 21, 2011

I don't have to dream this one up, been there, done that, way too many times!

Thursday. Already? That would be correct and I invite you to come on in and to visit for a few minutes as we get cranked up for this July 21, 2011. It's appropriate to think about time flying because even when we are sitting still our globe is moving at a very fast pace, some 1,000 miles per hour, more or less, depending on your location. Now would be a good time for us all to thank God because He also gave us gravity to keep us from flying off this sphere as it goes merrily whirling on its way. I know gravity gets blamed for a lot of things that relate to age and scientists have long studied its impact on our bodies. However, it is like maybe a very critical asset given the alternative. I am very glad that God put it all together like He did, and the more science reveals, it is the more that His glory is seen, even as the fallen world uses the very same evidence to deny His existence. If you Google "I know God exists because" you will find many different responses. Some are technical and relate to the design and complexity of the universe. Some rightfully connect God to His preserved Word, because the Bible tells me so. The majority that I perused indicated a personal experience that drives belief. Like the old song: "I know He lives because He lives in my heart." There is no doubt that one of the greatest testimonies for God's existence is the power of a changed life. That, by the way, is what we believers are supposed to be broadcasting each and every day. The influence of a life changed by the power of God. When we live in this way, our life goes about its daily business with a song that gives proof to the children's refrain, "Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so." Amen.

The power of a changed life. That is so much easier to write about than it is to live. Why? The Apostle Paul in his letter written to the local congregation meeting in Rome, Italy, (Chapters 7 & 8), gave great insight into the struggle that all believers have with our 'old man' natures. God did not choose to eradicate our sinful nature and Paul says because it is that way, we, each and every believer will struggle. The good news is that Paul also tells us that while we struggle, we do not have to be defeated because there is victory when we yield to the power of God. I think when we do win a battle, God is honored, and anything that brings honor and glory to Him reflects our purpose in our sojourn here on the planet. I've actually worked with some folks who were a part of a belief system that said one can live above sin. Based on my observations, they were not able to communicate that as a truth in their own life, and based on my own experiences, we all are in the same boat when it comes to struggling. That's why I love to remember the words of a spiritual mentor of mine who said it like this: "When it comes down to it, we all are fellow strugglers." That doesn't mean we should be defeated because according to God's Word, speaking through the Apostle Peter, "Because by his power he has given us everything necessary for life and righteousness, through the knowledge of him who has been our guide by his glory and virtue." (2 Peter 1:3) I don't know about you but I stand in need of that everything necessary, every single moment of every single day! So when we blow it, we need to get back up, get prayed up again, dust ourselves off, and with His help, go again, and again, and again, for His honor and glory. Amen.

I didn't mean to turn today's blog into a Bible study but perhaps I needed to be reminded along with someone else, that dealing with the struggle between right and wrong is a lifelong pursuit for us all. Brand new believer, struggle. Senior saint, struggle. But, again, we do not have to accept the enemy's lie that when we struggle, and even if we falter, that we are no longer a child of God, because like the prodigal, we might end up in a place we shouldn't be, but we still belong to the Father and He still awaits our return. That is a great Bible text and you can read about it in Luke Chapter 15. So now you know that your blogger buddy here struggles too. In fact, it is when we fail to realize this truth, that's when we are in grave danger of finding ourselves in big trouble. ("So that let him that thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall." 1st Cor 10:12) But it is good to be able to share some of what I have experienced and continue to experience in my walk with God. I can tell you, as it relates to me, He is a very loving and patient Father, and I thank Him for His faithfulness, His mercy, His love, and His grace as poured into me through the sacrifice of His Son, my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and through the ongoing witness, conviction, and power of His Holy Spirit living in me. Even with all of this unspeakable and unfathomable truth, we all have to get up each and every day, put on our clothes, and like the Apostle Paul, put on our sandals or shoes and get on with the life that God has given to us. I need your prayers and you need my prayers and all God's children need prayer because it is a battle but there is, as the old song says, Victory in Jesus! Amen.        .....More later.

No comments: