Friday, July 9, 2010

Stress testing everyday but without the treadmill!

I sure find myself lately saying way too often, "I hate it when that happens." I actually think that it can become a self fulfilling prophecy because one irritating event leads to another and to another and pretty soon, if you are not careful, you find yourself in a quagmire of negative quicksand. Perhaps not quite that bad but you get the point and there's something about quagmire and quicksand that seemed to jump out at me on this Friday, July 9, 2010. We have been experiencing one of those rain events that keeps on keeping on. Last week the rain was all around our area but it seemed to always skirt our yard leading to my wife informing me that it might be a high percent probability for others but she was not buying it for us. Within minutes it was pouring and it has pretty much kept it up, off and on, for the past several days, with more expected. It is funny how we always want the rain until we get it every day then we want it to ease up. I mentioned this to someone and they told me how they really love the rain but only if they can stay home and sleep. I suppose that none of us are completely happy with our circumstances, even if they were what we said we wanted just a few minutes ago. No wonder I find myself saying, "I hate it when that happens."

I read last week where European countries are considering raising the retirement age to 70. That might not be news to you but let me tell you this is a huge deal. The Europeans have always prided themselves on their long vacations, short work hours, and early retirement age. However, facing a funding crisis all around, the economic outlook has collided head on with this long held entrenched tradition. That is scary when you think about it because it demonstrates how weak the world economy is. In the past they were willing to endure sky high tax rates and other penalties but never were they willing to give back in this area. Yes, folks, the times, the times are a-changin and we had better be prepared to hold on for a rough ride. But you most likely knew this already. I suppose we can always count our blessings. My wife and I used to sing a song about doing this very thing. It may sound a little corny but there's a lot of truth in it's message: Verse 1, "As the world looks upon me, as I struggle along; They say I have nothing, but they are so wrong. In my heart I'm rejoicing, how I wish they could see; Thank you Lord, for your blessings on me." Verse 2, "Now I know I'm not wealthy, and these clothes, they're not new; I don't have much money, but Lord I have you. And to me that's all that matters, though the world cannot see; Thank you Lord, for your blessings on me." Chorus: "There's a roof up above me, I've a good place to sleep. There's food on my table, And shoes on my feet. You gave me your love Lord and a fine family, Thank you Lord, for your blessings on me."

I can actually hear us singing that song in my mind and I'm blessed to even remember it because it's been years since we sang it. We need songs to remember. We need verses from God to encourage us. We need our prayer time and the love and help of those near and dear to us. These are some turbulent times in this old world but we can take heart because the One who walks with us is the same One who has overcome the world. (John 16:33) He didn't tell us to not let our hearts be troubled because of the absence of challenging times, but He said it because of His peace that He gives us in the midst of troubling times. (John 14:1) I don't know what you have planned for Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday but I do know that you can't go wrong by going to the meeting place where other believers gather and where God speaks through His word. Make that a part of your plan and then keep it because we need not only the blessings of God but as the song says, we need to recognize what we already have and give Him thanks and praise every day. Having said all of this may help me to not say that thing about how I hate it when that happens as much as I have been lately. Sometimes it is good to sit ourselves down and have a heart to heart talk between that trio that usually causes us the most trouble, namely: Me, Myself, and I. I have been thinking some about the upcoming Santa season and leave you with this farewell: "Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night!" Amen. ......More later.

No comments: