Thursday, July 8, 2010

Dealing with a case of the 'grumpies'!

I hate it when I look at the clock at 3 a.m., and take note that I have thirty more minutes before I get up and then immediately I dive back into that deep sleep (REM, rapid eye movement) phase waking up at 4:06, jumping up like the house is on fire, disoriented because of the deep sleep deal, and feeling like I've been run over by a freight train. Now that is at least one way to jump start your day but I don't recommend it on a regular basis. Fortunately, this doesn't happen very often but when it does it provides the script for my own version of the Grumpy Old Man. But I say good morning anyway, this too shall pass, look on the bright side, the glass is not half empty, it's half full, the sun is going to shine somewhere up above the clouds, and all of those other nonsensical things we say to put a little get up in our got up and went, but here we are and I bid you a happy Thursday on this July 8, 2010. What is that saying about taking lemons and making lemonade? I know. It's taking the sour things and making them into something sweet. Still sounds a little weird to me but if it pulls you back from the brink I suppose there's some merit in there somewhere. Don't blame me, it's that script handed to me on my way to being a little out of balance this morning.

It could be worse. We all know it could be worse. Why do we always say that? Of course it could be worse. We need only to read the first few verses of the Book of Job to know that he embodied the full measure of what it means to have a really bad day. Don't sweat the small stuff and remember most of the stuff we fret over typically turns out in the big scheme of things to be rather small. That's easy for you to say. Actually, it's not that easy to say but it's much harder to implement especially in the midst of an attack of the "grumpies." Don't look it up, it's not a sanctioned word but that doesn't mean it isn't a word, right? You got the meaning, therefore, it must meet some test of it being a word because it was able to communicate a message. Who are those folks who make those decisions anyway? I've never met one of them, have you? Do you ever have one of those days where you really want to be a little grumpy but others will not cooperate? Man, I hate it when that happens. They find reasons to make you smile. They involve you in conversation and build you up. They just will not leave you alone and let you be miserable. The nerve of some people!

But thank God for those who come along side of us to provide some relief when that REM deep sleep dude gets us off on the wrong track. They might be someone who reminds us of the blessings we enjoy as a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ. They might be an encourager who uses their gift (from God) to spread joy, love, and inspiration as they go about their day. I am thankful for people who do this very thing, aren't you? I remember a fellow I used to worship with many years ago who had this gift and was sure of it being from God. He told me how that he had tried to do other ministries because of necessity or duty but God would always let him know that he needed to be somewhere exercising his God given gift of encouragement in making a difference in other people's lives. How many of us go through life without ever finding out the gift God has given to us? What's that you say? You didn't get one? If you are a believer and if you have joined with other believers in a local fellowship (Church) then according to the Scriptures you have a gift that has been given to you by God for one purpose and one purpose only, the building up of others within that local body where you are connected. My gift is teaching but I must say that I taught for many years before I appreciated it to be a gift given to me from God. If you teach because you are capable of researching and presenting information, it's not the same as when you realize that God has called you to use the gift He gave to you for building up others and for His honor and glory. Thank God for those to whom He gave the gift of encouragement. (You can read all about these gifts in Romans Chapter 12, 1st Corinthians Chapter 12, and in 1st Peter Chapter 4.) Here's a quote from the Apostle Peter: "As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God." Maybe old Grumpy will bump into one of those carrying the gift of encouragement today, hopefully real soon! Amen. .......More later.

No comments: