Friday, July 30, 2010

Happy Birthday to a very remarkable man.

No politics today. I promise. No moaning and groaning about my blood glucose monitoring. I promise. No tantalizing tidbits to tickle your thinking. I promise. I came up with that last one because I do love the sound of it but I'm not planning to entertain you with word play today. I promise. It is Friday, July 30, 2010 and today I am rehearsing my trip over to Louisiana for tomorrow, Lord willing, where I will be greeting my step-dad on behalf of his 80th year of sojourn here. His birthday is actually August 1st but I am so looking forward to being able to express in person my love and appreciation to him on this special occasion. Dad is a little guy. Short and skinny. But dad is huge in being an example to us all. He is devoted to our mom. He is active in serving family, friends, the community, and through his local Church. He is a decorated retired career US Army man, a retired US civil servant, and if elected for another 2 year term, will complete 20 years of serving as an Alderman in his local town. When mom told me he decided to run another time, I told her that if that little town ever fails to elect dad, it will be an act of stupidity beyond imagination. Why would I say that? Because he watches over that little town's considerable budget and many activities like a hawk and has its best interest at heart at all times. He has no other agenda, period, end of story, and while that doesn't always sell today, it should, because those like him or few and far between!

He is not now nor ever has he been one for the limelight but his word is his bond and when it's time to show up and get the job done, he will be there doing his part. He refuses to act his age and is about as active as anyone I know, spending all day out in the yard mowing, working on repair projects, or a variety of other activities. He believes in exercise and in keeping fit. He stays on top of his weight and will immediately, and I mean immediately, respond if he sees it moving in the wrong direction. He is fun to be around. He is encouraging. He is well read. He loves sports. He is quite a character and my how we are blessed for these many years to have him in our family. He's faced dangers while in the military. He's faced many crises in our family. He's had to deal with medical challenges for himself and today he is facing and doing what he can to minister to his daughter Miriam as she struggles with a horrific, terminal illness. His way of facing challenges is head on with determination and a consistent commitment. It's called being faithful. We all can learn from his example.

I've done what I can over the years to let him know how proud we are to have him as our dad. He sometimes tells me that I do too much, that I go overboard. Good! Given all that he does for mom and so many others, what little I do is next to nothing, but I am glad he feels honored because that is my intention, and better yet, he deserves it. That's right. He deserves recognition because he is a wonderful example of a full life lived in doing for others through support and service. He is the real deal my friend and it just shows how God can pack together a giant of a man in a small package. Happy Birthday number 80, dad. I am looking forward to seeing you tomorrow and may God bless and keep you is my prayer. Another reason to count as a blessing folks and we all need to take note of them and to recognize and thank God for them. Well, this ends another week of my batting it back and forth out in the blogosphere, and Lord willing, I will see you next time at a blog near you. Or something like that. May God bless. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: