Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Many of the good old days are remembered because, duh, they really were the good old days!

Hello and welcome. It's Tuesday, July 27, 2010. What's that you say? You don't have very much time to visit. That's the story of our lives as we live out each day. Right? Last Wednesday evening we had many of our folks either on vacation or out for one reason or another, therefore, it was only myself and two other widow women who showed up for prayer meeting. I decided to hold my lesson until this week and we just sat and chatted, shared sweet fellowship, and talked about those needing prayer in our personal families and in our Church family. It reminded me of way back when folks would drop by, sit on the porch and visit for a spell. Before 'Must See' TV. Before meeting ourselves coming back from so many outside activities that we need a schedule just for managing all the schedules we have to meet. It was a throw back to when folks enjoyed good conversation, good stories, and a hearty laugh among friends. We talked about those days gone by. They shared how it was in their growing up days when people did seem to have more time for getting together. I told them how we used to all gather at someone's house after Church service and sing songs around the piano, visit, make peanut brittle or homemade ice cream, or both, and enjoy a variety of discussions going on at the same time. They wondered out loud what it would take to see those times again. Good question. Yes, a very good question but a good answer we could not find. But, we did have a great visit and a time of prayer at the end, therefore, it too becomes another one of those sweet memories. The way I see it, we all could use a few more of those along life's way.

While the storm Bonnie didn't end up doing too much over where it was supposed to have an impact, it did scare up an unexpected but mega thunder storm for us Saturday evening. One minute everything was fine, the next it was like the opening scenes from the Wizard of Oz. Thunder and lightning and wind. What wind! It was borderline scary there for a while but then we heard a very mournful noise that has become all too familiar to us over the years. A loud boom followed by another loud boom. That's right, not one electrical transformer on our street, but two! Now we were in the dark. It was hot. We knew it would be hours. I was very tired from a long day of activities so I went to bed. We have a generator but decided not to use it. My wife was concerned that someone might steal it if it were outside running. While I thought that to be a somewhat unlikely scenario, I recalled the copper thievery. It was hot. We used to be able to open our windows but since Hurricane Ike we have not yet replaced all the screens. It was hot. I lay there in bed thinking about growing up without air conditioning. It was hot. I tried to use all the techniques I had learned over the years. I dreamed about camping out in the frozen tundra. I dreamed about the times I used to be out hunting and my teeth were chattering from the cold. It was still hot. At 3:30 a.m. I was awakened to the clock flashing by my head. I jumped up and got the A/C going and the fans humming again. I was sweaty and had that tired feeling I well remember where you sleep but it's not restful. I know we are all wimps today but my how thankful I am for those who climb the poles in the middle of the night to get the cool going again!

One of the ladies at the prayer meeting was telling us about her and her recently departed husband hosting an older missionary couple from the Philippines in their home a few years ago. This native Filipino missionary has been supported by our Church for over twenty years. She said the one thing consistent as they guided them around our area was how they believed everyone living here to be super rich compared to their country. Everyone rich. They could see the excess that even the least of those have in our country compared to the poverty in their world. I well remember this couple. I have always been an outspoken supporter because this dear brother is a tireless evangelist to his people on behalf of the Lord and His Kingdom. When we met face to face, I was surprised that he knew of me, and we had this sweet connection that I will always cherish. We shouldn't need folks to come all the way from the Philippines to remind us how God has blessed us here in this land. But, given all the upside down stuff going on, it may take that to get us to see how, that even in these trying times, God has blessed and continues to bless us. The unseen riches are even greater still. When this dear brother and I parted I will never forget that we bid farewell by saying if we don't see each other again in this life, we will meet again up there! It was like us saying, "See you at the house." Different cultures, different languages, different in just about every way possible, but abundantly rich in the commonality of our shared union in Christ. Thanks be to God for He has given us so great a salvation. We are rich! Amen. ......More later.

No comments: