Friday, March 12, 2010

We're not in Kansas anymore?

Yes, that would be correct, we are not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy, but hurrah, it is Friday, March 12, 2010. You know those clips we love to see sped up so that everyone looks like they are quick stepping through the scene. This is exactly how it has been going for me lately but no need to speed up anything, because without any help from me, stuff seems to get on down the road like a runaway train. My wife tells me all the time that I need to slow down a little because the miles are piling up and I do from time to time show the wear and tear. BUT, as they say back home, most of it is by choice, or as I used to tell my boys, when it is self inflicted you give up the right to whine and complain. Therefore, I will just say how thankful I am to have things to do, people to see, and places to go, and even more thankful to be able to pursue them all with a smattering of energy and excitement. I think about my life and where I have been and what I have done and believe me, it's only by the grace of God that I am in the here and now doing what I am doing. It's like studying very familiar stories from the Bible. We already know the entire story from beginning to end, therefore, it's hard to appreciate how the people had to live it all out one day at a time. I look back and see mostly the mess that I've made out of many of the decisions that came my way. It's like the little boy sitting on the floor trying to make sense out of the chaotic threads in his mother's sewing project. But when she turned it over he saw a beautiful scene that took his breath away. This is how God is able to take the chaotic threads that are woven into our lives and make something beautiful out of them.

As for as the schedule goes I used to hear my grandfather talking about working from can to can't and I suppose on many days I am finding out the reality of the riddle. I am very aware that so many other folks face great challenges every day. Comparatively speaking, my stuff is pretty small compared to those dealing with family issues, hospital stays, and other calamitous events. Our little four year old Alexander Benjamin got his new eyeglasses this past Wednesday. He has some potentially serious problems that could occur later on if they don't work on his eyesight now. He was not too excited about his new glasses but we are so thankful they found his problem early. It's stuff like this that keeps Poppy stirred up. He was at the house last night for a brief visit and we watched the cartoon movie The Incredibles together. He immediately saw himself as the little super hero boy named Dash who could run at super sonic speeds. He came over as Alex and left as he put it, as Dash-Alex. He also had to demonstrate his running ability a few times around the house before he left. Do TV programs influence children? How about in a heartbeat?

But aren't we blessed to be living at a time when they can pinpoint eyesight issues even in young children? They used symbols and objects to test his vision since he can't read yet. Sure, we do at times feel like we are surrounded by troubles but we are often negligent in seeing how many blessings there are all the time. As those who know the Lord in a personal way with the assurance of His ever abiding presence, well, it's hard to top that for a number one blessing because He will never leave us or forsake us, no matter what! We actually have His word on that! Our Spring break is upon us and I know many will be traveling here and there. It is also spring forward time change weekend and you know what that means. The dreaded lose an hour so that we can enjoy more daylight each day. It also means I will be back to using my flashlight to open up our shop buildings each morning but we will adjust. I can only remember one time when I missed the time change. It was in the early 1970's and we showed up at Church exactly one hour late. Of course even as we drove into the parking lot I couldn't imagine that I had done something wrong. Why had they called a meeting without notifying me? Why were all these people already at Church? Them doing what they did caused me to have to drive around to find a parking spot. Some people, right? Yeah, some people, all right, how about that dummy behind the steering wheel, you know, the one who didn't change his clocks! That taught me a lesson and since then I typically change them all early Saturday evening. Don't forget because you wouldn't want to show up at Church late and end up like me having to deal with all those people who complicated my day. Have a blessed Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday! Amen. ....More later.

No comments: