Friday, March 5, 2010

Can you hear the children crying?

Hello again and welcome. It is Friday and we cannot deny that we all are in need of help as we seek to 'make it' on this March 5, 2010. Help from God and help from each other but we all need help if we are to somehow get by during these trying times. As I travel around the metroplex I notice more and more people are on the street corners begging for donations. Yesterday I noticed something I had never seen before. A couple of the beggars were carrying professionally made signs. They looked like they were made by the same people who make campaign signs. I have at times given to some who do this type of solicitation but we've all become somewhat jaded by the multitude of stories involving how this type of activity is used to fuel the drug trade and other forms of wrong doing. I'm sure some of the stories accurately reflect the situation being faced. However, with all the shelters, religious and community outreach centers, and other forms of charity available, one does have to wonder why this appears to be a daily enterprise on the part of some. My point is only to report how this type of activity seems to be on the increase. When it is genuine, having to do without impacts so many people and can be especially hard on the children. I was recently confronted by one of those mentally deranged looking dudes who asked if he could clean my windshield. I did not want him to clean it so I indicated a no by my head shake. He responded with a clenched fist and some choice curse words and I was not unhappy when the light changed and I could move on.

Yesterday while watching a news report from Chile concerning the aftermath of the recent huge earthquake, I saw some footage of people running every different direction because of a false report of an impending tsunami. It was sheer panic but worse was the desperation shown by the little ones. That's hard to watch. That's hard to take. And, we have so many little ones suffering all around us. Today's world has done just about everything that can be done to steal one of the wonderful things about childhood: Innocence. It still exists but more and more the culture wars along with the economic stresses are causing our little ones to live in an uncertain and scary world. Every day, most likely every minute of every day, children are being attacked by predators. Many are hungry and many go to bed each night in an environment unfit for anyone, much less, a child. We do need a revival of mammoth proportions back to God and His plan and purpose for how people should live, for the sake of all humanity, and especially for the children.

Jesus had a special love and affection for children. He recognized in them that simplistic faith required to exercise trust as an example to us all who need to place our trust in God. When we destroy that simplistic faith, we lose the example, and somehow we water down that most beautiful statement made by our Savior, "I tell you with certainty, unless you change and become like little children, you will never get into the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:3) That childlike example becomes less powerful as we as a society destroy the childlike existence of our children. But thank God it's still alive and well at least as I write this today. I see it in our little bundle of Madelyn Joy as she depends 100% upon her mommy and daddy. I see it in our little Brady and Alexander Benjamin as they trust their Poppy to take care of them and be with them as they play and take risks in their development. When it comes to Satan, I am 100% convinced of a 100% all out war on everything that is Godly, good, and right. This includes the make up of our society, the family structure, marriage, and yes, our children. May we all see this and daily seek God's intervention as we seek to save what being a child means. Amen. I do hope you have a wonderful Saturday and that you will show up at the meeting place where God's people gather on Sunday. Until next week, may the good Lord take a liking to you and as always, there will be: ........More later.

No comments: