Thursday, March 11, 2010

Vive la difference!

Good morning on this Thursday, March 11, 2010. I've received a few comments about my gizzard exploits. Based on what I'm hearing, the responses are quite predictable and it seems there are more than just a few who do not share my passion for this neglected delicacy. Different strokes for different folks, right? My wife loves to watch reruns of Deal or No Deal on the Game Show Network. She really likes this show. I don't. When it is on I can almost feel myself lapsing into a catatonic state as the gray cells inside my noggin scream: What in the world are you doing? On the other hand, she doesn't like any show where the people are arguing, especially where they are debating political issues. She hates them. I like shows where they do just that. In fact, I don't get along too well in any week when Prime Minister Question Time from the UK is on hiatus or if I happen to miss it for some reason. It's done each Wednesday around 6 a.m. our time. Talk about shouting! It's wonderful. The government is required to appear and through the sitting prime minister must answer the opposing parties questions pertaining to the actions it is taking. The various individuals who represent different factions boo, hiss, and cheer as the debate rages on. I can't help myself. I love it. If there was one feature from the mother country across the pond that we could choose, this would be it, to see any of our sitting presidents have to go to the congress once a week and stand and answer any and all questions about decisions being made would not only be entertaining, I think it would improve accountability.

We are all different. I sleep every night with two fans blowing. Some people couldn't tolerate the noise. I also sleep with three feather pillows each night that I hope will last as long as I do since they are already ancient and I have no clue where one would ever locate any like them again. My wife sleeps on foam. The thought alone gives me the heebie jeebies. My pillows are special because my late mother-in-law used to get hold of chicken feathers and make them for me. They have been patched and re-covered more than once and my wife and I discussed the other evening about how much longer we think they will last. Caring that much about feather pillows would be a silly topic for one person but it is serious in the extreme for me. We are all different. We are told about the most wonderful restaurant in the world. We go there. We eat. We then wonder what the fuss was about. We thought it was slightly better than airline food. What happened? We are all different. No wonder we have trouble getting everyone on any page much less the same page, but that's what we need to do if we are going to make progress.

These differences carry over even into our working together as believers in the Lord Jesus Christ. The good news is that our God recognizes how different we all are. He calls us to unity even as He pours out differing gifts to different people. How can all this diversity find unity and common purpose? It's only through Him helping us through the power of the Holy Spirit to help each person focus on the God who gave the gifts, and in helping us to cooperate with one another in the work He gave us to do. We are not all called to do exactly the same thing but we are all called to unity in the work we all do and share. I may never develop a love for Deal or No Deal but I can tolerate it being on because I know it is liked by others, and it's really not that big of a deal in the overall scheme of things, when it is all said or done. The pillows might be a different matter but even there I most likely will not evaporate if they were to go away. As Augustine put it over 1500 years ago: In essentials, unity. In non-essentials, liberty. In all things, love. This makes me very much inclined to share my plate of gizzards next time I find myself under their influence. You like Folgers. I favor Community. Sorry. I haven't got any ideas for helping us find a way to agree on that one. Just kidding, but next time you hear about me sitting in my parked car on the side of the road wearing sun glasses and holding a hair dryer out the window just to see how many folks slow down, remember, we are all different. Have a blessed day. Amen. ......More later.

No comments: