Wednesday, January 6, 2010

This that and the other for Wednesday!

We have a preview today for coming attractions since it is currently 29 degrees as I write my blog. That's getting close to being cold but for us out in the suburbs, they tell us we might not get above freezing Thursday through Saturday after hitting in the teens for lows. Ouch! Now that will be something we do not often experience in our area. At any rate, we can always join the legions who repeat that old saying how that folks always talk about the weather but rarely do anything about it. I do bid you a warm welcome to Wednesday's edition here on January 6, 2010. I went to the first of the year inner city Bible club last night. Because of the cold the game time was conducted inside. It was the first time we had met in several weeks. That's always interesting in and of itself in getting everyone back into any sort of a routine but I can only think of one word to describe last night's adventure: ROWDY! But truth was shared and the kids were served and they were fascinated by the new me. That's right. My hair is cut short and my beard is trimmed close and they wondered where Santa had gone. It was all in good fun but they sort of treated me like I had been put into the witness protection program. I came home exhausted. Long day and long night but very rewarding, I think, I know, or, I think I know.

Speaking of my haircut. I did get it cut on New Year's day at one of those specialty store places in the big mall. According to the sign they were running a special deal for $14.95. I was there so I thought to myself, why not? It was very early and the mall had just opened. There was only one lady at the styling place. She was a fairly large African American lady who seemed a little surprised that I had come in but she was very pleasant and we formed this kind of contract between the two of us which said if you won't tell anyone I was here, I won't either. I told her that I was coming off the Santa gig and wanted to get everything shaped up. I sat down and she went to work. They had very loud rap music playing. The only conversation we had was when she asked me to lower or raise my head. It was hard to be offended by the music because even though I tried to make out some of the words, I couldn't and that was most likely a blessing. She did an excellent job and when she finished we talked for a few minutes about my Santa experiences. She gave me the senior discount and I gave her a good tip and I returned to my mall walking exercises. Will I go back? I could wear a disguise - - - or maybe not. We will have to wait and see!

Our granddaughter Tiffany is scheduled to be induced early tomorrow morning. We plan to be there to welcome little Madelyn to our family, therefore, I am not sure when I will blog again but I would appreciate your prayers for this major event. I will readily admit that because of many reasons I would never say I have been a 'great' father. Fortunately, with God's help I've tried to be a really 'great' Poppy to my grandchildren and I've also done what I could to make it up to our boys. However, now on the cusp of becoming a legitimate great grandfather, I will have to figure out how to become a really 'great' great grandfather. Just keeping up with the 'greats' is a challenge! But we are so thankful that God has brought us to where we are and we are seeking His best for Tiffany and her husband, J. C., and their little one, Maddy. I received a wonderful note the other day from a lady about my blogs and how that she and her husband enjoy reading them each day. I greatly appreciate those who read but each day I write is another testimony for why I wouldn't wish being me on anyone else! Pray for our Tiffany and may God bless each one on this day! Amen. ....More later.

No comments: