Monday, January 4, 2010

Don't carry the stuff I've saved to the Antiques Roadshow!

Hello and welcome to another day, another week, and another year. I send greetings to one and all as we have already begun filling in the blanks for 2010. It's forty degrees here this morning on this Monday, January 4, 2010, but we are told that later this week we can expect low twenties and the potential for some pipe bursting Arctic like temps. We had a very disturbing pipe bursting experience many years ago that pretty well wiped out all the downstairs floors, therefore, we would rather avoid a repeat if possible. On New Year's day I did some power walking in the local mall. I had my ears lowered or for those unfamiliar with the jargon, I got a haircut, and I attempted to begin some of the improvements I have in mind for 2010. One big one I began to work on Saturday was the going through of some of the remaining fifteen huge boxes we have not yet unpacked from our Hurricane Ike rebuilding exercise. I pretty much have my office beginning to be set and turned my attention to dealing with forty plus years of accumulated stuff.

I have been in the past a notorious note writer, note taker, and writing of all kinds of stuff. Much of this reflects work done in my Bible studies. I have or now better stated I had quite a compilation of these writings, notes, and lessons but had held on to them for all these years. There must have been a dozen or more composition notebooks filled to the brim along with hundreds of printed lessons from past classes taught. Now they await their final destination in either the incinerator or the landfill. You cannot look through thousands of pieces of collected junk without finding some memory jarring mementos. I found some artwork from when our boys were in elementary and some of the very first drawings from our Tiffany who will soon be bringing our first great granddaughter into the world. I ran across some of the first Christmas cards I did on the computer way back when and got a huge kick out of reading about what was going on in our family at that time. I did, by the way, do my best to separate out any and all of these types of jewels. Why? They are just that, jewels, precious to me, and someone else can discard them when I am no longer around to periodically find them again and be reminded of the blessings God has provided. I've also delayed final removal to later in the week so I can sift through it all one more time to make sure I'm really ready for it all to go the way of the buffalo.

Why is it hard to throw stuff away? We have wiring connectors and devices that could not work on any computer today. We have software that was used fifteen years ago. We have the paperwork on stuff that we no longer even have. We are not hoarders, per se, but we do tend to pile up stuff in heaps. Well, maybe not that much but we do have way too much. I think we actually have our tax records back to the 1960's. Even the statue of limitations would be calling this an overkill. Part of the problem has to do with it being way too much for the shredder with no easy way to burn it all. But that's one of the objectives underway in our household this week. My wife needed to take some days and she is off this week with a commitment to continue this sorting and removal process. Clutter. Our lives at times do get cluttered, don't they? I suppose its good to be reminded that it's not what someone might find that you have written in the past that counts, it's the impact of your life in terms of leaving a legacy of serving God and others that will matter in the end. That thought is a keeper folks and it's a good one to ponder as we launch out into the deep of year 2010! May God bless and keep one and all! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: