Monday, January 18, 2010

Here's how to not see your wrinkles. Take off your glasses!

Hello friends and neighbors, it's Monday, January 18, 2010 and I bid you greetings from the bloated world of blogger mania. Some estimates say there are at least 250 to 300 million individual blogs and they are being added by the hundreds every second of the day. That sounds like a huge number but when you consider we have just under 6.8 billion folks breathing air on the planet, it's still a fairly small percentage of people who fill up electronic pages like they are going out of style. Speaking of going out of style, I think I went out of style a long time ago but failed to get myself registered. Surely they have a make over or an update of some kind for folks like me who find themselves locked in a time warp. It's somewhat like a slap in the face to find yourself very much aware of the things mentioned in the "Remember back when...." lists that circulate out on the web. In fact, I can remember when I enjoyed reading those but didn't identify with many of the items listed but now a days I pretty much am the list.

Perspective does change with age. I can see myself in my eldest son as he holds his first grandchild. He doesn't see the world like he did when he first held his first child. Somehow this becomes a huge blessing as we are able to distinguish more between the truly important versus the loud but mostly insignificant. He will likely also begin to be out of style as he makes his way forward. We applaud folks who are young at heart, whatever that means. I've known some folks who did all they could to hold back the aging process. One of the main things they did was to try and hang with a younger set of folks. They were our age and it was obvious they avoided us because we were tagged with that dreaded distinction of becoming a part of the older generation. They said being with younger people caused them to feel younger but for most in their peer group, we thought them to be rather ridiculous. On the other hand, if this is what floats their boat, why not?

I am aware of trying not to allow my trousers to get closer to my chin as the years go by. Therefore, it might be said that I am at least conscious of age related stereotypes. My wife would certainly be first in line to report that I am not a slave to fashion trends. To me, wearing clothes that are twenty years are older is like being with friends. They are comfortable and really have no one to impress. It was not always this way. I know what it means to try and wear the right suits, power ties, and wing tips shined to perfection every day, and I was the one who did the shining! I've been there and done that and still believe one should dress appropriately based on the environment and occasion. However, it is a brave new world where business casual for some has become casual-casual and it's hard to imagine myself working for any company with my knees showing in a $200 pair of jeans. In fact, $200 for a pair of blue jeans, that's what they used to be called, is ludicrous, and this should report me as being once and for all over the hill but thankful to be able to blather away about it in my blog each day. I do pray that you and yours will have a wonderful week and may God add His blessings on us all! Amen. ....More later.

No comments: