Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A new day and a new opportunity to write a new page!

It is Tuesday, January 12, 2010 and I am thankful to be here in my place, click clacking away on my keyboard. I recently had to say farewell to one of the oldest of the computer keyboards I have used for years. I held on to it as long as I could because it had that special touch. You see, I am one of those throw back users who like a keyboard that has the touch and feel of an electronic typewriter. That's right. A typewriter. For you younger ones that's a device we used way back when to type up letters and correspondence. Most of the newer keyboards are designed for computer users who use the functional aspects more than the actual typing capability. While this does date me in terms of my own learning curve, I will say that I no longer believe folks have to be touch typists (like me) to really be able to generate text. All you have to do is watch some of our teen aged grandchildren working their tiny keypads on their cellphones to realize just how fast text can be generated. I do not do texting on my cell phone. I do not send. I do not receive. But I do enjoy the keyboard and I love seeing the gray cells represent themselves on the electronic page. I'm not saying they represent themselves very well but I do get a kick out of seeing them at work!

Here we are, twelve days into the brand new year and I can tell you that I already have a few frustrations about some of the things I really wanted to focus on as a way of making progress and improvements. I'm not calling them resolutions because that would be way too formal for me but they are actions that require discipline and determination. And, if they were actual resolutions, I would be forced to confess that I am already slip sliding around in the keeping of them. I sure wouldn't want to do that for this might cause you to lose confidence in me. It reminds me of that old saying I heard growing up: The road to hell is paved with good intentions. My grandfather was a very simple and practical man. When I messed something up and he asked me about it, I, like most kids, would say that's not how I wanted it to turn out. He, in his direct and clear manner, would more or less ask the question: If that's not what you were trying to get, what then were you intending? I've never forgotten that sentiment and I have used it throughout my life in dealing with others. It's much easier to use it on others than to apply it to myself. But the point is clear. If I am not achieving the things I set out to achieve in 2010 then I need to examine what I am doing and spend the time needed to understand better what it takes to achieve the outcomes desired. Then as the commercial says: Just do it!

They tell us that the Book of Genesis is the most read text in The Scriptures. Why? Is it because people are really interested in knowing more about God's plan and purpose in creation? Not really. It's primarily because it is the first book in our Bible and that's where people who make a commitment to read through the entire Bible begin their reading. It has 50 Chapters and many begin but many also fail to keep on reading, therefore, by default, Genesis becomes the most read Book. I know how easy it is to give up or to not to have any goals because of a track record that is spotty at best. Yet, it does pay to challenge ourselves to do better, to be better, and to grow in the life God has given to us. If it was easy everyone would do it without any effort but it's not easy to make changes that require discipline and old fashioned dedication. One way I have of looking at it is to view yesterday as the etch-a-sketch tablet. It didn't happen the way I wanted it to but I have a brand new day. I can lift that old page, erase what could have been, and start over. It's not in being able to always be successful in meeting every personal challenge, it is our willingness to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and with God's help, get out there and try again, and again, and again! Amen. ......More later.

No comments: