Friday, October 2, 2009

What was she thinking?

Here we go again, just for the record, my wife has left me again, and I am officially home alone on this Friday, October 2, 2009. She, her sister, and her eldest brother are in Florida for the wedding of Brother Milton’s grandson. Here’s how the travel logic works within this tight knit team: The kinfolks in Florida desire her sister Dorothy to play the piano for the wedding; my wife needs to go to turn pages; and the eldest brother Cleon knows the way, so there you have it, the anatomy of a trip. I have been an observer and bystander in all of this but I will tell you there's been a huge amount of phone traffic leading up to this big event. They are also very excited, of course, about seeing Bro. Milton and my prayers go with them as they make this long drive forth and back to be there with family on this special occasion.

Part of the process involves her working through great challenges like: “I really don’t have anything appropriate to wear.” My thoughts immediately zero in on the four or five closets so full they are choking from lack of air. But, quickly weighing the pros and cons, I immediately freeze choosing the path of silence because any comment in response to this statement, or any involuntary or improper facial expression, would most likely come back to haunt me. After a number of expeditions she found something very nice and has promised to return the other purchase that turned out to be okay but she found something better later. I will have to tell you that I cannot remember a single time in my life where I have purchased clothing and continued looking for something better. She even asked me if I would try to find something for her to wear but I chose to not become entangled in this project so late in the game.

Home alone. Me being by myself reminds me of that parody about the song: O give me a home where the buffalo roam and I’ll show you a dirty house. That 54-degree forecast I wrote so longingly about a few days ago turned out to be a mirage, a hoax, or a teaser, but, supposedly, if you can believe it, we will have some low sixties for Saturday morning. That will be close enough to crank out some strong Community coffee and sit out on the driveway and contemplate just how I will spend my ‘home alone’ time. Don’t worry. I have plenty of stuff to do. I have my lesson to prepare. I have a Santa haircut and beard trimming appointment with my daughter-in-law hairdresser. I had our lawnmower repaired this week and I might just take it out for a spin. It’s been 18 months since it was last used and my wife said she wanted us to get it going because she could use the exercise. We’ve been having the yard done every other week but I agreed to see if it could be fixed. Now here’s the kicker. She said she wanted to do the mowing but she also wanted to be paid the same amount we’ve been paying the lawn people so she could put away some spending money. I know that makes sense to someone but I’ll just have to take a pass because it still causes my head to spin. Do I have a great life or what? I do hope you and yours have a great Saturday and Lord’s Day Sunday, and we’ll see what pops up on your screen come Monday. May God bless. Amen. …..More later.

No comments: