Thursday, October 8, 2009

Clueless in Cut-N-Shoot

Hello again and welcome to this edition of my news, views, and opinions. It is Thursday already, October 8, 2009. This has been a very busy week thus far for me. I can't say I've been running around like a chicken with its head cut off but I have been rather occupied with this, that, or the other. My wife is much better and will try to return to her job this afternoon. She is always my biggest fan of the blogs that I put together. She loved the one I wrote last week about her leaving me home alone. She also thought the one yesterday about me becoming so skittish was a laugh out loud story which she did to the extent that it caused her sore rib cage to ache. She has had a rough last few days so anything that brings her a smile is a worthwhile effort. I did tell her that I might send her doctor a thank you note for the cough syrup he prescribed along with a request for another bottle. This stuff not only got rid of her horrible cough but it knocked her out like lights out and we have spent some very quiet days together lately. I'm joking about getting her on drugs but that stuff does work wonders!

The blog I wrote about President Obama's famous trip to Copenhagen to seal the Olympics for Chicago was a current event that she had missed entirely. I run into folks all the time who really don't keep up very much with what's going on around them. I am so fortunate to work for a wonderful man who owns our company. He often tells me that he rarely has time to get any news but he has found a solution. He sits for a few minutes and has me tell him about the stuff flying all around. I know that might be a compliment about me being tuned in but I often wonder who is better off. Those who can go for days without ever seeing any news and really have no problem living that way may be better off than those of us who are being constantly bombarded with the relentless second by second news flashes from all over the world. I plan my departure each morning around a national radio news cast that comes on at 4 a.m. Nothing wrong with that but there may be something wrong when I feel badly because I missed that newscast and may fret a little about it. Man, two minutes late, wonder what they were talking about?

My wife and I were talking the other day about how we are able to stay in constant contact using our cell phones. While she was on her trip to Florida I could keep up with her at any moment of the day. When our youngest son was born her mom had come to stay with our other two boys while we were at the hospital. We left her there with them in a foreign place to her and I don't think we even thought about or had any idea what she would have done had she needed to contact us. We were an hour away at the big hospital and she was there with our boys. We didn't even think about it. Now days if we can't reach someone at any moment on their cell phones we begin to worry about what might be wrong. Well, that's kind of how it works with those of us who are news junkies and political wonks. The 24 hour news cycle now gives us instant access to all things happening within the last few seconds and we can plug in at any time to find out about it all. And, plug in we do! I do admire those who are not plugged in, don't worry about being plugged in, and have no plans to do more plugging in as they go forward. That reminds me I haven't checked the online newspapers yet to see if anyone I've ever known has passed away. I better run. See you next time and may God bless us all! Amen. .....More later.
PS: For those who may not know, Cut-N-Shoot, is a nearby tiny Texas town known mostly for its beer joints and car wrecks on Saturday nights.

No comments: