Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Don't mind that whimpering noise, it's just my hip bones trying to get some attention.

Hello friends and neighbors, it's Tuesday, October 13, 2009 and I am sure there is something we all can be praising God for today! We had two out of three of our grandsons to stay with us this past Friday night and a good part of Saturday. MiMi and Poppy greatly enjoyed our time spent with Jimmy Jr., and Alex. Brady was also supposed to be there but they had a bunch of scheduling issues and he ended up not coming. When we asked the two where they wanted to go to eat Friday evening they responded that a place with a playground would be their first choice. Therefore, we took them and our fallen arches to the golden arches so they could knock themselves out. Jimmy no longer cares that much about the climbing and all of that. He did go climbing one time to be with his brother but soon he was over at the video game kiosk and Alex wanted someone to accompany him inside the climbing sphere.

As I read the sign I noticed that parents were welcome to play also, therefore, I agreed to climb with Alex. Okay. It's been a while since I have been climbing on a gym set and I will assure you it is not quite as easy as it looks. I did make it over the hills and through the woods to the top of the unit where we could ride down the tube slide together. He thought it was great. MiMi observed all of this and decided she wanted in on the fun. I cautioned her but could not deter her from climbing. It's one of those things you have an instinct about but I do applaud her determination. She got up to the part just before the slide and was suddenly struck with a case of onset claustrophobia. She had to come down immediately and Alex was left to explain to those there: "It's just too little for MiMi." What is that saying? Out of the mouth of babes but I certainly withheld any additional commentary, because, you know how it is, when the situation more or less speaks for itself it's best for one to keep their distance. One much younger mother was knocked down that we were even willing to try it.

On Saturday morning I was up early. The boys were fast asleep and MiMi was enjoying her slumber time. I brewed up a full pot of extra strong Community and dragged a chair out on the driveway to enjoy the cool. It was around 60 degrees and there was a good breeze and a little mist was in the air. It reminded me of those early fall days when my grandfather and I would be up early preparing to go to the woods to bag a few squirrels. Those were some enjoyable times. In my mind's eye I could see PawPaw Mac swigging down his last swallows of Seaport Coffee and then we would be on our way. Memories. That's what we build when we spend time with our children and grandchildren. That's what they will remember. I hear it occasionally from my boys. And someday we will hear Little Jim reminding Alex about the night MiMi and Poppy climbed up into the jungle gym and how much fun we all had. Of course that little episode brought forth some choice noises from Poppy's arthritic hips but that's a few pains well invested. Amen, grandparents? I hear you: AMEN! See you next time. ........More later.

No comments: