Friday, June 19, 2009

Thanking God for dad.

Today I want to pay tribute to my stepfather who has been of such great influence in my life and the lives of all our family. He already knows how much I respect and admire him. He is aware of how thankful I am for his long years of demonstrated devotion, love, and care for our mom. But as we think about Father’s Day I want to share my thoughts on this unsung hero who gets up every day and puts feet to what it means to be a servant of God and of others. Dad has had more than one career. He retired after years of serving our country in the U. S. Army. He retired again after serving years in the U. S. Civil Service. He eventually picked up a new role as an alderman for the little town where they live. This he has done for many years. That little town is blessed to have him as one of their leaders. Why? He helps oversee the running of the town and does so with a very critical eye to make sure the citizens are well served. Dad is the subject I have chosen for this Friday, June 19, 2009.

He would be the last to toot his own horn. He would not be one who could give a long dissertation on what it means to be a good husband, dad, friend, and servant. That would not be his way. Rather, he is one that gets up every day and goes about the doing of his life in a way that makes all of these things become obvious. His way is quiet and behind the scenes as a busy doer from early to late each day. That old saying comes to mind: Actions speak louder than words. This is a very appropriate assessment of how he operates his life. Duty and discipline are major components of his proven track record. In many ways his contributions to our family reminds me of my Grandfather McMillan. If you have read my blog for any length of time you know this is about as high of human recognition that I can express.

Dad would be one that Brother James writing in the first century could have pointed to when he by inspiration said these words: “But someone may well say, ‘You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works’." (James 2:18) Therefore, on behalf of our family, thanks dad, for your faithfulness to our mom. Thanks also for your example of what it means to live out the reality of serving. And, thanks for being there in so many situations and circumstances that have faced our large and diverse family. You, sir, are a remarkable man and I thank God for you being our dad. I ask all my readers to pause and join me in saying a prayer of thanksgiving for Jose Chavez for being such a guiding light to us all. May God bless dads on their special day and may we all learn to follow those who speak great truth and wisdom by their deeds. Until we meet again, may God bless one and all. Amen. …..More later.

No comments: