Monday, June 22, 2009

Just who is it that we seem to always be trying to impress?

Please remember my mom in prayer. She is having some minor surgery this morning and we are praying that it will go well. At age 85 any surgery is always a matter of concern but she is trusting God and so are we!

I watched a video of Jackie Mason, the Jewish comedian, and he was asked why he never patronized all the ritzy food establishments and why he didn’t hang out with the rich and famous, like most celebrities. The interviewer was puzzled because she said he was obviously famously rich but chose local delicatessens or other humble restaurants instead of the well-known ‘in-crowd’ places. Mr. Mason’s response was impressive. He said he was not interested in putting up a front or being seen as something he isn’t, especially from the inside. The basic truth was that he felt more comfortable around common folks and that’s why he went to where they showed up. He went where he enjoyed the food and the people. I’ve always enjoyed Jackie Mason’s self deprecating style of humor. He has become a strong commentator for conservative principles and recently has expressed great concern over the new administration’s treatment of Israel. And, in my opinion, he has valid reasons to be alarmed. His expression of not going with the celebrity flow, however, is what I am writing about on this Monday, June 22, 2009.

I well remember back when I worked for the big company and had a membership to a very old and prestigious business club. Every day I would see certain individuals who would show up to share lunch together. One frequent attendee was a billionaire owner of a major oil and exploration company. He could have eaten with anyone he chose from politicians to the most famous of people. However, he typically sat with some very elderly gentlemen who had previously been in the oil business. Many of these fellows came in wheel chairs or on walkers and he seemed always very genuinely at home in their presence. That impressed me. Some time ago I read about him and how he is spending his retirement years. He lives on the ocean and owns half of the city nearby but according to the article he can be found most mornings sharing coffee with a group of older fellows at a Kroger’s coffee bar. I’m still impressed.

While we may not feel the temptation to play the high roller game for fame’s sake like others, most of us do eventually deal with the issue of just who we really are in terms of where we go and in choosing those we desire to impress. I’ll never forget my wife’s parents coming to my downtown office one day. They were country before country was even thought about being cool. My wife had driven them down and parked in a nearby parking garage. They were like fish out of water as they toured my state of the art computer workplace located on the 22nd floor of a famous high rise, but I was so proud to have them there and honored to be able to host them. We later had lunch at a restaurant where I knew the folks who ran the place. They may have never eaten in a place like that but the staff went all out and they enjoyed it. I have thought many times about the great privilege I had in associating myself with these humble and sweet people who had done so much to influence my life. Jackie Mason said when it comes down to it, one has to answer the question about those they are trying to impress. Perceived rank, status, and the shallowness that often surrounds it will never equal good old-fashioned fellowship with those we truly care about. So there you have it. Another episode of my discombobulated randomized musings has come to a close but perhaps there’s a lesson buried in there somewhere for us all! Amen. ….More later.

No comments: