Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The old gray guy is not what he used to be.

I recently uploaded a photo for my wife’s Facebook page. (It’s the one in the opening paragraph.) The photo itself generated quite a bit of attention. Many thought it neat because of the retro look we showed, although it’s important to note that at the time the photo was made it was not retro, it was in vogue! There’s no telling how much polyester is represented in the clothes in that picture. But here’s the rub. Many people pointed out the neat hairstyle worn by my lovely wife. Some commented on how cute the boys were. But when it came to me, the most frequent assessment was: “Man, have you ever changed!” Okay. I have a beautiful wife and she’s still beautiful today. My boys are really neat looking but now I have to answer for what in the world happened to me? It’s good that I feel so comfortable in my own skin because this barrage of critical acclaim could get to me, even on a Wednesday, June 17, 2009.

I’ve joked for years about being a high mileage vehicle. I’ve also said that I was built more for speed than comfort. And, at one time I had as a motto that I would never be worried about burn out because I always wanted to be known for having burned up in the pursuit of the life God has given to me. Now the sum total of all of these smart aleck remarks has made its voice clear: “I’m okay, you’re okay, but man, what ever happened to your appearance?” The good news is that, as you can tell, these types of comments tend not to bother me, …..bother me, …..bother me. At least I have given folks something to smile about! That photo was taken over thirty five years ago and after all is said and done, I’ve had a lot to deal with in my job(s), my health, my concerns, my sense of well being, the non-stop pursuit of excellence in all things, and, and, and, oh yeah, that head on collision back in the early 1980’s. There are probably many other reasonable excuses I could come up with but that should be enough for anyone to change their opinion and now say: “Man, you really look great for all that you have been through!”

Okay, enough already. We all look differently than we did way back then. The Bible has a completely different take on growing old than we do in our superficial, celebrity driven world. God says that the hoary head (gray or white hair/beard) should be a crown of honor and respect. (Leviticus 19:32) I’ve written today’s blog in jest and I have thoroughly enjoyed poking fun at myself, however, with Father’s Day approaching, it’s a good time to be thankful for those older dudes who cut a path for us with their love, care, and wisdom born out of their years of experience and age. The man Job in the Bible spoke about the time before all his troubles came whenever he was revered for his testimony and wisdom. He said that his reputation was such that no one could remain seated when he came into the room. I can actually remember a time in my growing up years when older people garnered the same type of respect. I give you permission to enjoy the photo and feel free to pile on because there’s not that much that hasn’t been said already. Have a great day and may God bless each one. Amen. ….More later.

No comments: