Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hot flashes for everyone!

Okay. It is Wednesday, June 24, 2009 and I will readily admit that in the summer time it is supposed to be hot. But in this area we broke a record yesterday that had stood since 1904. That was likely a pretty hot day back then for my grandfather who would have been four years old and it's not really that pleasant for us experiencing it some 105 years later! I suppose most of us should be thankful for a gentleman named Willis Haviland Carrier who in 1902 gained a patent for what was to become the first successful air conditioning machine. Mr. Carrier, on behalf of people everywhere, we salute you as the original 'Father of cool'. Around these parts I'm not certain folks could live without his invention. I know I am petrified when I see a very old car loaded up with little kids and the windows are down and they all look like they could faint at any moment. When I go and fetch my grandson Alex from his daycare he wants that air blowing directly on him in the back seat and who can blame him. Mr. Carrier didn't do us much good because I've talked before about growing up without air conditioning and it's hard to know if we could go back to that. We didn't have it and we didn't miss it mainly because it wasn't an option, but we were hot, that much I can remember!

I have already read about water rationing being implemented not too far from where we live. There's new restrictions on fireworks this year because of the early stages of what might become a drought. Fire departments are very much concerned about the stress being put on their resources as the extended heat wave continues. There's a map out on the internet that shows the low temperatures recorded for our country. I often look at it and dream. I notice there's a spot up in Montana this morning reporting 31 degrees. It's 77 degrees here just before 5 a.m. Those folks enjoying that 31 degrees may be sitting at their keyboard looking at that same map and thinking to themselves how wonderful it would be if they could be somewhere where it was warmer, maybe in the 70's. I would be most happy to work out a trade for a few days if they can make that happen. But of course we can't, we just have to make the best of whatever situation we find ourselves in.

Today I can be thankful to God for He is always the same, yesterday, today, and forever, regardless of the weather! I can be thankful that I work in an office that has heat in the winter time and cooling in the summer. I can be thankful that God has given people talent and ability to invent things that make our lives easier and more pleasant. And, I can continue to anticipate His goodness in sending rain and a change that will eventually help give us some relief. When I was a kid we could get a gang together and go spend the day at the swimming hole. But there's always been those back then and now who work outside and as we see them today I would hope a little sincere sympathy would be felt because they deserve it. They build our homes, they work on our streets, they mow grass, and keep things moving even during these early dog days of summer. I do at the same time pity the 31 degree fellow in Montana who is dreaming of our temperatures here. My guess is if he were here it would not take him long to understand the meaning of that old saying: You don't miss your 31 degrees until the well runs dry. Or something like that. Stay cool and may God bless. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: