Friday, December 14, 2007

Visions of Christmas Cooking Dance In Our Heads!

Since that fateful day this past August when I began this diabetic journey, food has taken on an entirely different role in my life. For those who read my blog you know by now that my heritage growing up was one of making "the meal" a focal point of our living. It was how we marked our great times together and at Christmas time, it made it so very special that even as I write these words I can smell the fresh mincemeat pies cooling in Granny Mac's kitchen.

Christmas cooking has been a major part of the celebration throughout history. Thomas Tusser who lived from 1524 to 1580 was a famous farmer, poet, choir singer, and is best known for his proverbial line, "A fool and his money is soon parted". He wrote a poem about Christmas feasting and while his descriptions are not what we might think of, he certainly captures the spirit of my great memories of all that went into making Christmas so special. Here's his poem entitled, "Christmas Cheer":

Good husband and housewife, now chiefly be glad,

Things handsome to have, as they ought to be had.

They both do provide, against Christmas do come,

To welcome their neighbors, good cheer to have some.

Good bread and good drink, a good fire in the hall,

Brawn, pudding, and souse, and good mustard withal.

Beef, mutton, and pork, and good pies of the best,

Pig, veal, goose, and capon, and turkey well drest,

Cheese, apples and nuts, and good carols to hear,

As then in the country is counted good cheer.


What cost to good husband, is any of this?

Good household provision only it is:

Of other the like, I do leave out a many,

That costeth the husband never a penny.


This year I will no doubt be partaking of the Christmas foods quite differently than I have in the past, however, I will not give up cherished memories etched in my mind of all those wonderful sights and smells that marked my Christmases from my earliest days. People joke about fruitcakes and how awful it is to receive them as a gift. Obviously, they never had Granny Mac's or my mom's fruitcake or even my wife's who used their recipe, or they would have a completely different opinion. The 'Fruitcake' was something we looked forward to as a special treat at Christmas time.

As you prepare for your Christmas celebration remember to remember Jesus as the Reason, and also make it a time that your children and their children and their children will always associate with giving, love, and a time of feasting and fellowship among those near and dear to them. I am grateful for so many in my life up to this very moment who have worked so hard to make this very thing a reality! Amen. ....More later.

No comments: