Wednesday, December 5, 2007

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

A fellow was telling me yesterday that he is really into the Christmas spirit but for some reason his wife is very much lagging this year. This got me to thinking. Just what do we mean when we say we are in the Christmas spirit? He went on to say while he's out putting up lights and whistling a Christmas tune she's wondering whether they should even bother decorating this year. Maybe he should call the Christmas doctor who might prescribe an uninterrupted viewing of "It's A Wonderful Life" starring Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reid.

On Monday when I listed all the films that had made an impact on me growing up my youngest son sent back his list and "It's A Wonderful Life" was on it. When he was growing up, watching this film each year at Christmas time became one of our family traditions. It's a great story that shows a man what life would have been like for so many others had he not been around to love and support them. Yes, I would call it one of those sappy, feel good, tear jerker kind of movies but maybe some of that is what the Christmas spirit is all about.

I'm not ready to measure where I am on the "Christmas spirit" scale for this season but I do know that the hustle and bustle of my "things I need to get done" list is very much interfering with me scoring very high so far. This past Sunday I finished teaching my Bible study a little early and my wife and I hurried over to our middle son's Church where two of his four children were a part of a Christmas musical presentation. The program was all about the meaning of Christmas with the manger scene, the three wisemen, and angels, and a great storyline about a manager of a modern retail outlet called Herod's department store. He starts out only concerned about profits but ends up finally getting it, and in so doing he becomes a giver instead of a taker. We loved seeing our twin granddaughters up on that stage using their God given talents in a program dedicated to honoring the message of Christmas. Becoming a giver instead of a taker may be the best way to describe what the spirit of Christmas is all about.

I'll never forget one special Christmas when my wife and I were starting out. She was carrying our second son and we were down at her brother's house in Louisiana for a Christmas family get together. We did not have very much in terms of worldly goods back in those days but I had put back some money and slipped around and bought her a watch and I brought it with me to the reunion. It was put under the tree with the dozens of other name gift presents.

In their family we always drew names and the gifts were opened one at a time typically beginning with the little ones. Back then (1967) I believe we only had three of the combined eight offspring and they were all very young. At any rate I was anxiously awaiting her being given that box. Finally, her brother handed it to her and she had a very surprised look on her face. When she opened that box it was nothing like I could have imagined. Maybe it was being pregnant, maybe it was because we were young and struggling, but she burst out bawling and pretty soon she had all the other ladies crying along with her. What a day! What an experience! It was not an expensive gift but it reflects the definition of what the Christmas spirit can be. It must have been something special because I still remember it like it was yesterday! ..........more later.

No comments: