Monday, December 17, 2007

December Is A Big Month For Us!

If you have been reading my blogs you know that I have a desire to keep Christmas in context. You might not realize that we are no where in the Scriptures instructed to celebrate the birth of our Savior. Actually, we are not instructed to have a special day set aside at Easter to celebrate His resurrection. We are, however, given the pattern of the early Church meeting on the first day of the week, Sunday, and it appears this was done because of His resurrection on that day. We do have clear instructions that we are to commemorate His death whenever we partake of the Supper He instituted. Therefore, it is important for us to keep these things in mind even while we enjoy this special season of the year, Christmas time. That alone makes December a big month.

Tomorrow, December 18, my wife and I will observe the 43rd anniversary of our wedding vows. I will have more to say about it then but one would have to know that makes this month very huge. Yesterday I paused to remember my eldest brother who would have celebrated his sixty-fifth birthday. He was the first born in our family and left us suddenly and without warning back in March of 1962, at age 19. His name was Jimmy Don. Later this month my sister JoAnn will celebrate her birthday. She was one of those born right at Christmas time and like my wife's dad who also was born near Christmas, they had to endure the gifts marked Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday. My wife's dad was a special man in my life and all these special memories make December a special month.

Tomorrow is also the birthday of Mitzi, our youngest son's wife. She is a remarkable woman who is very capable in any and all things she does. She brought Kyleigh with her into our family and then gave us our Lexie and Brady, or Bray-Bray as we call him. She takes such good care of her family and also takes time to cherish her many friends. A few months ago we were able to attend her baptism and we are so very thankful for her testimony and her being a part of our family. We wish her a most wonderful birthday and God's blessings on her as she continues her journey with Him.

Last but not least is another birthday tomorrow and that's our first grandson who will become an eleven year old. Our middle son, Jimmy Don, and his wife, Mindi, were not supposed to ever be able to have children. God had other plans because today they have Jimmy Jr., or Lil Jim, as we call him, a set of twin daughters, Alesha and Amanda, and their recent surprise, Alexander Benjamin. They are the ones the doctors said would have zero and they end up with four!

Our Lil Jim was born back in 1996 and being the first grandson, he has always had a special place in his Poppy's heart. I remember visiting them after he was born and their Rottweiler, Lady, thought he belonged to her. Lady met me at the door and carried me back to the room where he was sleeping. I am not a pet person but Lady and I always had a connection. She had to be put down last year because she had become so feeble but I will always believe she knew how much I loved her Lil Jim and that's why we got along so well.

Lil Jim has not had an easy time in his short eleven years. He has to deal with being dyslexic, hyperactive, and he also struggles with asthma from time to time. Someday he might well wonder about the gene pool handed down to him. We are so very proud to be his grandparents and we will be celebrating he and Mitzi's birthdays tonight. December is a big month for us. Some sad memories which are a part of this life but so many blessings, it's hard to count them all. I do hope and pray you will have a blessed week and that you will remember God's gift to us all! Amen. ......More later.

No comments: