Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Pay Day - - Some Day!

My African American Pastor friend called me last night and told me the small Church property where their mission meets and where we have the children's Bible club had been hit by professional copper thieves. They did about $10,000 in damages and he wanted to alert me that we might have to postpone our club meeting for tonight unless they were able to get basic services restored. I was both saddened and angry about this happening. I know there is much evil in the world and I know that anyone including ourselves are very capable of doing things that go against that which is right but when people go out of their way to attack a place that has been prayed over and set apart for the work of God, I'll be honest, I think some of that fire coming down from heaven would be appropriate!


And, while I am venting here I want to say a word about those who buy metals they know were stolen. They are in many instances not only just as guilty but in some ways they are the enablers that provide incentive for this illicit activity. I know they have hit nursing homes, daycare centers, places where food is distributed to the poor, and literally thousands of personal residences. But, folks, there was a time in this country when even the worst criminal would have paused and thought very seriously before destroying or stealing something dedicated to God. I believe this situation well illustrates one of the most serious changes in our society, no respect whatsoever for God and the things of God.

I told my dear brother last night that he should not be worried or concerned because God is still on His throne and He will make good to come from this wrong. I'm thankful that these facilities can be repaired and with God's help we will again see the work and ministry conducted on those grounds. However, I would ask that we all begin to seriously ponder the magnitude of the lawlessness reflected in these types of crimes. In this huge metropolitan area there are people who are essentially hiding in their own neighborhoods from their own neighbors.


Is there any hope? Yes, praise God there is hope and it is only when we as a people turn back to the God we have abandoned, as individuals, as families, and as a nation. We can sing God Bless America all we want to, and we can champion having 'In God We Trust' on our currency, but until we begin to make these thoughts a reality, America's position before God is in peril. I know this sounds ominous but on some days I can be a prophet of gloom and doom. It's not hopeless but folks we need to begin to pray that God would come down and intervene in doing what must be done to return us to a people who honors Him.

I tell you, you just have to love my wonderful pastor friend. He said last night that he knew they had failed to be consistently in prayer for God's protection over that property, and he was going to lead his people to remedy that situation immediately. It reminded me of that phrase where the Psalmist in the 146th Division asks God to help him to not put his trust in any person or human power to provide for him, but to seek and trust only the God of Jacob for his help. Good advice then and wonderful advice on Tuesday, December 4, 2007. Amen. ....more later.

No comments: