Thursday, December 6, 2007

He's My Little Brother In Christ

Earlier this club year I was privileged to lead a young African American boy named Darnell to Christ. He had come to our Bible Club for quite some time but as it so often happens, there’s that one special time whenever the Gospel truth knocks loudly at the door of the heart, and was he ever ready to open that door! He recently turned eleven during the Thanksgiving holidays. Because I shared Bible verses with him and led him in calling out to God, we will always have a special bond.


I never force any child to pray or say certain words. I am there to help them in whatever way I can but I know all too well what it means to make a profession without having Christ in your heart as a possession. Darnell is a very bright and talented young man but life is not easy for him and his family. A few weeks after his conversion he came to me for a time of counseling. He appeared very distressed and he told me he didn’t know if he was still a child of God because so many bad things were happening around him.

I explained to him from the Scriptures how that his salvation is based on a Person not on the circumstances around him. I also told him that when a believer begins trying their best to do the right thing there will always be opposition and difficulties. We prayed and I then told him that every time we are together, if he feels the need to talk or pray, I wanted him to come and share with me.


Well, that’s an invitation he has been exercising. This past Tuesday evening when it came time for counseling time he immediately jumped up and headed back to me. He had this sparkle in his eyes and he looked up at me and said, "Let’s pray". I told him he looked like maybe he had been having a better week than before and he said, "You know what? It has been going better." I told him this was an answer to prayer because I had been praying for him.


Our Bible club is not reaching thousands. It’s not making headlines. In fact, it may seem very insignificant to many. But I’m thankful that it is significant in the life of Darnell and many other boys and girls like him. The copper thieves did their thing and it looked like they may have won at least one round, but, THEY DID NOT, as they are the losers, because we did meet, we did share, and the lives of children were ministered to and God was pleased. As the Apostle Paul was inspired to say, "Thanks be to God who gives us victory through our Lord Jesus Christ". (1st Corinthians 15:57) Amen. …..More later.

No comments: