Friday, December 21, 2007

Time To Put On My Shopping Game Face!

This year, as most years, I think, my wife has done most of the Christmas shopping. Although I did spend quality time ordering up three gift cards online, therefore, it's not as if I haven't contributed anything! I'll have you know I had much trouble with the American Express online system and even had to have a technician assist me. It was a very trying experience but I persisted because I wanted to do my part. Now, because of it being the 21st and because of her schedule, she informed me that we still have several items to finish our list and that she was officially passing the shopping baton to me.

This means tomorrow will be a day where I am off and running, or perhaps off to push and shove my way through the local retail outlets. We've all heard the stories about why men and women shop differently. Men are basically hunters and gatherers, not prone to browse and enjoy the experience. We go where we think the quarry might be located. We see it, acquire it, and return to our cave or home. This year I've decided to go with a game plan. First, I need to find out exactly which stores are open 24 hours a day because I don't mind doing my thing at 5 a.m., in the morning.

I remember taking several of my grandchildren one year to the mall on one of the busiest Christmas shopping days of the year. My wife thought I had lost my mind but we had a ball! Of course I wasn't looking to purchase anything because we went and saw all the animals at the pet store and enjoyed some snacks at the food court and generally had fun! Maybe it was the fact that I wasn't actually shopping that made it a fun time. I do know that part of my preparation will be to get ready to be happy before I get to the actual shopping business.

Yes, I'll spend some time practicing my best Merry Christmas, and will get ready to let the other person always go first ahead of me, and to smile whenever the store workers are rude or inept, and to generally prepare myself to make it an adventure. Yeah, that's it! It will be like a treasure hunt. I did hear some ladies talking about how that everything had been picked over and the choices were now very limited. Maybe that's a good thing! Less stuff means less that I have to choose from which should lead to a faster and more satisfying shopping experience.

As you can tell I'm already beginning to look forward to this challenging assignment. It reminds me of that opening from the old Mission Impossible series where once they have heard their new challenge, the tape self destructs. Well, say a prayer for me and those who will be working with me to make this a most wonderful time of the year. I believe that's what Andy Williams sings in that song and everybody knows he is the king of Christmas music! Have a great weekend and if you never hear from me again, you will know that I was taken out during the great Christmas shopping stampede of 2007! .....More later.

No comments: