As I get ever closer to the 80th year of my sojourn, I can't help waxing somewhat philosophical. For many years I've loved the music and the sentiment expressed in the song, 'Goin' Home'. The history of how it came about is interesting: Dvořák's Symphony No. 9 was premiered by the New York Philharmonic at Carnegie Hall on December 16th, 1893. The composer died in Prague in 1904. One of Dvořák's students, William Arms Fisher, put words to the longing melody from the second movement. He called the new song "Goin' Home," and had it published in 1922. Fisher died in 1948, but the song lived on. I particularly enjoy the rendition of the song lyrics by the great tenor, David Phelps. You can look up David's song on YouTube and many other platforms as well. Here are the lyrics:
Goin Home
Goin' home, goin' home, I'm a goin' homeQuiet like, some still day, I'm just goin' homeIt's not far, just close by, through an open doorWork all done, care laid byGoing to fear no moreMother's there, expecting meFather's waiting tooLots of folks gathered thereAll the friends I knew
Nothin's lost, all is gainNo more fret or painNo more stumblin' on the wayNo more longin' for the dayGoin' to roam no more
Morning star lights the wayRestless dream all doneShadows gone, break of dayReal life just begunThere's no break, There's no endI'll be living on.Wide awake with a smile, going on and onGoin' home, goin' home, I'm a goin' home
It's not far, just close by, through an open doorI'll be goin' home, I'll be goin' homeI'm goin' home, I'm goin' homeLord, I'm goin' home
That, my friend, may sound a wee bit morbid to you, but for me, it's a reminder of where I am headed. It is. It really is. Another song says, "I've got more to go to heaven for than I had yesterday." I do hope that's your longed-for destination as well. I do. I really do. May God bless each one. Amen.



No comments:
Post a Comment