Friday, August 21, 2026

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 ~ English Standard Version, ESV ~ "Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken."

How does it feel to be the age that I have now achieved? That, my friend, is a good question for this Thursday, August 21, 2026. First, I've never been this age, so I can't comment much on my new status. Secondly, I actually think I feel in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in. That said, there's a lot to read on artificial intelligence websites about the changes that take place for someone in their 80s. I am on twelve different prescribed medications along with a few other over-the-counter supplements, and I tell people that's what keeps me going. Not really. I do know this about it all. I am blessed by Almighty God for every breath I breathe on the planet. This means, in our way of understanding Scripture, that He is not finished with me yet. I am not able to walk much anymore because of my hip situation, but I do okay on the new stationary bike. I feel blessed to study God's Word and still teach a Bible class. I feel blessed to still be able to sing in the choir. I feel blessed to still be able to formulate words onto the electronic page for the blogs I write five days per week. I feel blessed to maintain contact with our boys and their families. I feel blessed to try to do my best to love the wife of my youth in the same way Christ loved His Church and gave Himself up for her. I feel blessed to enjoy our pup, Lil Miss Biscuit. I also feel blessed for the bond that remains with my last sibling, JoAnn. I feel blessed by God, and I thank Him for the resources He has provided, allowing us to support several ministries over the years. I repeat, I actually think I am in good shape for the shape I'm in because of God's blessings. He deserves all the honor and praise. He does. He really does. Amen.

 

I am currently heads down in my nursing mode, seeing after the recovery and support of my wife after her surgical procedure to take care of a hiatal hernia and related issues. Since our health plan farmed out the surgery to a specialist from a different health plan, we again had to navigate into and out of downtown Houston. The city of Houston ranks 8th nationally and 18th internationally in traffic congestion. Those who commute in and out of the city lose, on average, 70 hours per year in stalled traffic. On average. Listen. I think I may have beaten that record the last few times our trips required us to be in the city. I know. I did it for 50-plus years and didn't even think about it. It was what it was. I remind us all. I wasn't 80 years old back then. I did read up on the doctor who did her surgery. He pretty much is in the Who's Who category as a thoracic surgical specialist. He is one of those who typically has an entourage following him wherever he goes. Ha! I told that to our primary care, and he said he now knew what he had been missing since becoming a doctor: his very own entourage. I heard the late, great man of God, pastor and teacher, Dr. Adrian Rogers talk about choosing doctors. He said if he had a heart problem and had to choose between an atheist recognized expert versus a Christian but mediocre surgeon, he would choose the atheist every time. We are thankful she did well in her surgery. She still has some pain, and we are working through the liquid diet for the first week to be followed with a soft diet next week. We are thankful to be in a plan that provides access to the very best, even if it is not one of their own. If I can take a break from my nursing duties, I will get back to y'all with an update tomorrow. Until then, thanks for praying for us. Amen.

No comments: