Good morning and welcome. I am back at the old keyboard doing my thing on this
Monday, August 31, 2026. We had a wonderful time at our local fellowship gathering yesterday, and I am happy to report that the wife continues to show progress in her recovery from esophageal surgery. Our son Jimmy should get some answers this week regarding his injured spine. As for yours truly, I continue in my support role here on the home front while still trying to wrap my head around what it feels like to be 80. Ha! Yesterday, I met a lady greeter at our local fellowship, and she volunteered that she was 90 years old. We have another lady who faithfully sings in our Church choir who is well into her 90s. There is a notable gender gap: among those who attain older age, the ladies maintain a 3-to-1 advantage over the men. One of the fastest-growing age groups by percentage is 90 and older, now exceeding 2 million. I've said all of that to say this: My life is in His hands. Those ladies I mentioned testify to how one can keep on keeping on as long as the Lord allows. Some call that fatalism. I call it
faithalism. I know that's not a recognized word, but I am prone to make one up now and then. I recently heard a recognized celebrity say that what he knew about heaven sounded pretty boring to him. How absurd! Here is my faith response to that kind of dangerous viewpoint:
From the Legacy Standard Bible, 1st John 3, Verse 2, "Beloved,
now we are children of God, and it has not been manifested as yet what
we will be. We know that when He is manifested, we will be like Him,
because we will see Him just as He is." I am anxiously awaiting the experience of this very truth. What say you?
I remain interested in figures of speech. Wordplay too. I read this one recently: "If I knew the difference between 'anecdote' and 'antidote', my friend would still be alive." There's this one: "A tourist asked an Irishman the best way to get to a certain castle. The Irishman asked if he was driving or walking. The tourist said he was driving. The Irishman replied, 'That's the best way.'" If you look at the definition of a figure of speech, it gets pretty lengthy. From Grammarly, the software program I use: "
A figure of speech is a creative use of language to generate an effect, enhance an expression, or evoke an emotion." Some examples include a simile, a metaphor, hyperbole, or an idiom. In my case, my approach is to sling slang onto the electronic page. Ha! What would you expect? I grew up where people could be madder than a wet hen, or maybe worn slap out. Things could get all cattywampus on you, or you might just get yourself overtaken by a hankering. Even as a kid, I flinched a little trying to understand my grandfather's lament, "I feel like I've been pulled through a rat hole backwards." I did know exactly what was meant when I heard, "I'm gonna tan your hide." My point? Is it any wonder I end up writing the way I do? I don't think I've ever used this one because I'm not sure exactly what it means, 'happier than a dead pig in the sunshine'. Maybe you do. Now y'all have yourselves a blessed day as God provides, y'all hear? Just get out there and do it. May God add His blessings. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment