Thursday, August 27, 2026

"Memory only becomes interesting through its struggle with forgetfulness." ~ Adrian Forty, Emeritus Professor of Architectural History at The Bartlett, the Faculty of the Built Environment at University College London.

Still mixed up here at the ole blogger ranch. Yesterday was not Thursday; it was Wednesday; therefore, today is actually Thursday, August 27, 2026. Unlike what I was always told, we don't lose that many brain cells each day; however, as we age, we do have issues connecting to them. As in the wiring, or synapses, as they are designated. Back in my previous work life in a galaxy far, far away, one of the things I was responsible for was connecting folks to the data center mainframes, a similar situation. All sorts of things could happen to interrupt connectivity. In this feeble example, in my situation, that would be aging- my friend- yes, connectivity issues because of aging. All of the information I need, all of the memories I have, including precise backgrounds, telephone numbers, addresses, birthdays, relationships, connections, it is all still intact, but alas, the connections themselves are both tired and frayed. You should not be surprised when you see me at times practicing a new look: the blank stare. Here is a bit of good news. I still can experience what it means to have God's Spirit bear witness with my spirit that I am His child. (My representation of the truth expressed in Romans 8:16)  I may even have better news. Since I am His child and I have been sealed for eternity by His Spirit, nothing can ever change my Father-Child relationship, not even if I lose my ever-loving mind. (2nd Timothy 2:13)  My point? To my older friends and neighbors: Try not to fret over not being able to remember things like you did earlier in life because that is a very natural thing that happens to us. Instead, thank the Lord that He is still with us, period. Give Him all the glory and praise. Amen.

 

 

One way to deal with issues like forgetfulness is to learn to laugh about it, yep, learn to laugh, even at yourself. That's always been a tough one for me, but I am working on it. There's the one about the older guy telling his doctor about how forgetful he is becoming. The doctor's response was to tell him to please pay in advance. ~ My memory is getting really bad. Do I come here often? ~ One older chicken to another: My memory is getting so bad, yesterday I couldn't remember why I crossed the road. ~ Instead of going down Memory Lane, I'm now traveling on Memory Loss Lane. ~ I'll take remembering things for $200, please. ~ And the list goes on and on. I do realize that if memory loss is associated with chronic illnesses like dementia or Alzheimer's, it is no laughing matter. But age-related memory issues are a fact of life. My wife often says I have great recall. To be honest, she doesn't say that nearly as much as she used to. And that's okay. I am amused by how I often pause in the middle of telling something while my personal search engine inside my pea-sized brain looks for the next phrase. Get my point? Oh well, I am beginning to get used to hearing the wife tell me that I've already told that story. I usually say it is worth telling again, but she says it might be, but not right after you've told it. Is this a great country or what? Are we having fun or what? Thanks for tuning in, and may God add His blessings. Amen.

No comments: