Good morning. Welcome to the continuing saga where yours truly gets to share all the news he sees fit to print. (All the News Fit to Print was at one time a trustworthy label carried by the New York Times. Trust me, that is no longer the case.) We find ourselves celebrating another day on God's created sphere called Earth. This particular day is
Friday,
August 14, 2026. As many of you know, God providing, I will be celebrating my 80th trip around the sun this coming Sunday. That's 960 months; four-fifths of a century; 29,220 days; fourscore; and here in the United States, I join that 4% Club representing the number of Americans who are 80 and older. When you see me, it will not be necessary to refer to me as Mr. Octogenarian or make reference to me reaching the Big 8-0. You can also skip reminding me that my birthday coincides with the day Elvis left the building for the last time. You may remember that noteworthy greeting I received when I arrived home from work back on August 16, 1977, from our 6-year-old: "Daddy, Daddy, the king is dead, the king is dead." Under my breath, I whispered, Happy Birthday to me. Let me just say this about this milestone: God has been way better to me than I have been to Him. I admit I have been musing over reaching this threshold for some time now. It seems that every time I think about it, I am reminded of a song written by the late, great, singer/songwriter, Rusty Goodman:
Who Am I?
When I think of how He came so far from glory
Came and dwelt among the lowly such as I
To suffer shame and such disgrace
On Mount Calvary take my place
Then I ask myself this question, "Who am I?"
Who am I that the King would bleed and die for?
Who am I that He would pray, "Not my will, Thine" for?
The answer I may never know, why He ever loved me so
To an old rugged cross He would go, for who am I?
When I'm reminded of His words, "I'll leave you never
If you'll be true, I'll give to you life forever"
I know there's nothing that I could have done
To deserve God's only Son
To fight my battles until they're won, who am I?
Who am I that the King would bleed and die for?
Who am I that He would pray, "Not my will, Thine" for?
The answer I may never know, why He ever loved me so
To an old rugged cross He would go, for who am I?
I am thankful for the family I was raised in and all my folks that made a difference in my life. I owe a debt of gratitude to all those who have helped me along my way, also many I have worked for, and with, and so many others God put in my path, including more than I could number of dear brothers and sisters in Christ. I also thank those who travel with me in support of my blogging activity. Thanks to the dear wife of my youth and the rest of my family, near and far. The most important thanks go to God, period; that's my story, and as best I can I plan to stick to it. Amen and Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment