Monday, August 17, 2020

“The unthankful heart discovers no mercies; but the thankful heart will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings.” – Henry Ward Beecher

Okay. At 74, I'm not sure I feel that different than I did at 73, 72, 71, or even 70. It is my birth anniversary plus one today and we move on. That's how it works. (That is, until it doesn't but that's a different story for a different day.) This visit comes on Monday, August 17, 2020. I want to mention the range and reach of those who responded to my birthday. I was overwhelmed and humbled by the many well wishes to recognize my special day. These greetings were from folks from all over. Literally. From several who I went to school with beginning in the 3rd grade, to family, friends, folks I have served with in different churches and ministries and even several international greetings, like I say, pretty overwhelming to me. The wife, as always, went way over the top to provide a special day for me. We had some family to come. We had wrestled forth and back about what to do given all the COVID concerns, however, we decided the need to see family overrode these issues. It was Thursday when we let folks know. Our youngest son and family were already committed to moving our granddaughter Lexie back to Austin to continue her studies at the University of Texas. We had several of our grandchildren who were already scheduled to work. In the end, we still had ourselves a wonderful celebration, yes, of my birthday, but more importantly, of our family. When it comes down to it, our legacy is in the lives of our children, grandchildren, and our great grands, as well as those who will follow. Blessed. I say it again. Blessed. Thanks be to God. Amen

Last Friday I picked up my best score yet in my use of the CPAP sleep system. I had changed out the nose piece and I slept a little longer than normal. Those two factors combined to give me the good score. I've been working to try and understand exactly how all the replacement parts and pieces work on the system. The home health people who were contracted by my advantage plan insurance to provide the system are the ones who provide for the replacement parts. I set out to discover how this all works. When I call them which is no easy feat because you have to wait until you get someone on the phone and if you do get someone they then have to consult with the insurance to determine the frequency of covered replacement parts, filters, nose pieces, hoses, masks, etc. Meanwhile, the system maker keeps sending me emails about the potential need to change out parts and pieces. I finally got through to my primary insurance carrier and they agreed to send me an electronic copy of my coverages. Hello? They did. It's the entire coverage document with over 200 pages. Finally, I got someone on the phone again at the home health people and she went through their information and it was determined that I am eligible for replacing most of the parts by the middle of September including a new mask and hose. With the move to everything being done now via telemedicine, good luck with getting a real person on the phone to help. Welcome to what I believe is a new world order that will likely never go back to what it was before. 

I woke up this morning to some old fashioned rumbling thunder in the skies. Then came the rain. Praise the Lord. Then came the rain. We were beginning to begin to be parched to the cracking stage and it came at a most wonderful time. We had seen the forecast but the wife gave her typical response: "We will see about that." In the large geographic forecast area we live in, it is easy to get it in one location and to miss others entirely, but, this time we got some much-needed relief. We think about how hot it is, but, as one weather person put it, "We should all know by now how it is in the heat of summer in August." He quickly added we had not broken heat records this year. All I know is when Mr. Bentley and I go outside in the afternoon we have to hunt for air to breathe. And, when you find some, it might just burn your throat. Slight exaggeration. I know we are not done with the heat, but, again, it is always such sweet relief when we get a break. Have a great rest of the day and may God add His blessings. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: