Wednesday, August 5, 2020

"I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them." ~ Andy Bernard

Miss Anacoco High School and Mr. Hornbeck High School
As always, I am grateful for all of those who tune in each day to pick up what I'm sending, over the hills and through the woods via the worldwide network. You folks inspire me and keep me going. I might need a push now and then and I am in the process of trying to get cranked and going, today, Wednesday, August 5, 2020. The high school I went to was very small. I think we had 27 who graduated with me. Because of being completely smitten by the preacher's daughter very early on (just before starting the 11th grade) and her being from a different little nearby town, well, that meant the availability for matching up in my school was narrowed some. The girls in my school didn't like the fact that I had left the reservation and traveled into unchartered waters. The people at the nearby school didn't like it because I had won the hand of one of their beauties. Here's the funny part. I was well aware of the feelings on both sides and I even understood why, but, my attraction to her completely overwhelmed any other factor, period, end of story. The girls I went to school with are now like us, dealing with all the stuff that happens at our age. They now enjoy the fact the girl from the nearby school and I have made somewhat of a good long run together. Many of them have done well themselves with their choice of mates. Some are widowed. One I saw at our 50th reunion insisted she couldn't remember how many husbands she had been with. The seeds of rivalry have dissipated and now we look back and are thankful for the times we shared together and how blessed we were to live where we lived and to have had the upbringing God provided for us. On the other hand, I'm okay with not having to endure all the stares as I walked through the halls each day. (Check out the red socks. I was a fashion icon and didn't know it. In fact, I most likely didn't even know what that meant, and I am not that clear on it now.)

Some of those attending our 50th class reunion.
Don't ever get the idea that everything was fine and dandy in my version of the good old days. I believe the quote that says nothing perpetuates the good old days more than a distorted recollection. We certainly faced our share of challenges and while I don't dwell on the hurts and heartaches as much as the good times, believe me, they were a part of the fabric. I told the wife the other day how watching some of the Shi Tzu puppies on videos posted by their international owners makes you aware of how much we humans are alike. They speak to their little dogs in their language and their little dogs respond in the same way Mr. Bentley responds to us. I have worked with people who were very much grown and gone before they had ever seen a dead body or attended a memorial service. That was not our experience growing up. I think our family lived large. We loved large. We ate large. We laughed large. And, we hurt large. We suffered loss large. For us, it was all a part of life as we knew it. Maybe the not so good times are a part of what makes the good old days what they mean. There I go again. Self-introspection. Please don't refer me to Dr. Phil because while I know who he is, I can't remember ever watching a complete program of his. My point? I probably don't have one. I know a fellow who grew up during my time. He has gone on to become successful in the field he has pursued. He hates any and every thought about his time spent in our little town. He has said more than once he hopes never to go there again. I find that interesting because I am proud of my time spent there and that's why you get a steady diet of my reminiscences and recollections from my version of the good old days. 

Bentley did find a corny joke. "I know someone who has a dog that keeps eating garlic. His bark is worse than his bite." I suppose all this staying put has pretty much evaporated much in the way of new things to write about. The wife and I were talking about that slipping and sliding around on the icy roadway where we were saved by that auto control function on our car. We had bought the car about 5 years earlier and I asked her if she thought maybe that was the reason we bought it, so it could help us in our time of need. I may have been aware of it as a feature but after the near-crash incident, I looked it up and found out how it worked. For us, it and its provision was a God thing. As in, "Jesus take the wheel." My belief is whether you know how it works or whether it was destined to be there, we can always be on the right track by thanking God. The Scripture says, "in all things give thanks." (1st Thessalonians 5:18) That's one I've wrestled with at different times in my life. I believe the fact that God is with us even in our darkest hour is reason enough for the giving of thanks.... in all things. I'm sure there are better and more profound expositions of that text, but, today I gave you my shoe leather throwdown been there done that explanation. Have yourself a great rest of the day and may God add His blessings. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: