Monday, August 31, 2020

"Years ago on my radio show, I used to say, 'I'm a conservative, but I'm not in a bad mood about it.' I've always believed that civility in heavy doses is essential in self-government." ~ Mike Pence

Good morning and welcome to Monday, August 31, 2020, where those blessed to still be working at their public job get to start a brand new work week. I say it that way because there are still some 32 million Americans receiving some form of unemployment compensation. We are still somewhere around 1.9 children per family here in our country, so, it doesn't take a lot of math to know folks are still hurting from all that has happened related to this year's pandemic. There does seem to be some consensus by researchers who are beginning to agree the complete shutdown of our economy was an overreach. In retrospect. Then, we have the political echo chamber where rhyme or reason has little to do with any part of trying to lead and support the people of our country. I read a transcript of an interview of a political pundit which was on CNN. The host, a noted Trump derangement syndrome advocate, asked how people with any modicum of decency could even consider a vote for Donald Trump. The pundit responded by saying he believed that many of these folks had concluded that Joe Biden would be worse than the President even with all of his flaws. That was more than the host could take. He proceeded to slander any and all Trump votes with a litany of charges of hatred, racism, stupidity, and on, and on, and on, he went. He said in his opinion the pundit gave these people way too much credit because he believes them to be as evil as the President. I will have to count myself in those he called all those names because unless something monumental occurs, I will be voting for the President. I do think his meltdown rhetoric could become dangerous along with Speaker Pelosi calling republicans domestic enemies. People who say those kinds of things are stoking the fires, not of debate, but of violence. (Ask Senator Rand Paul and his wife.)

I did write a lot of blogs coming out of our experience recovering from Hurricane Ike. I also wrote about the various times we were without power for days at a time. There are a number of Facebook pages where folks are sharing their experiences related to Hurricane Laura. Reading through these and having direct communication with our family over in Louisiana remind us how fragile life can become, in a heartbeat. I am crushed by the stories of the families who died as a result of not properly ventilating their portable generators. The very thing used to help them cope became an instrument of death. I talked directly with my stepbrother who lives in DeRidder, Louisiana and he told me they are saying 4-6 weeks on their power restoration. Fortunately, they do have two generators and they can get by. There are also many heartwarming responses coming out of this devastating weather event. People helping people stories. I am happy to report our old place back in Hornbeck, Louisiana escaped any structural damage but did, like most, have plenty of trees and debris to clean up. My niece who purchased the house told me the natural gas-fired generator that dad installed many years ago was a Godsend. Literally. She and her two sisters rode out the storm there and the generator kicked on last Thursday morning at 2 a.m. and has been chugging along since. One of the things I saw that made me tear up was her notice to folks in the community inviting them to bring any of their medications that require refrigeration. It made me look up and thank God and to also say, "Good job, Dad, good job!"

I took Mr. Bentley out this morning just after 5 a.m. Whew! It felt like the furnace was on. There is little air to breathe. We don't need a heat warning to know how difficult it will be for those working outside today. I say that to provide this as a cautionary word: For those engaged in storm-related clean-up activities outside, stay hydrated and take plenty of rest breaks. Not too long before I retired-retired I was out at a business in the Company one-ton truck. It was so hot that day you had to take turns breathing. When I finished my errand and came out to the truck I noticed it had a flat on one of the rear dual tires. I called for help but no one was available. The folks there couldn't help me because of liability concerns. I set out to change it myself. To make a long story longer, I eventually got it done. The details were pretty ugly and yes, I did think I might pass out a time or two. At any rate, you folks outside, please, believe me, the heat is real and you need to take note of it. Okay. Have a great rest of the day and may God add His blessings. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: