Monday, August 10, 2020

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher, (1844-1900)

Good morning and welcome back to our time together for Monday, August 10, 2020. That title may sound somewhat ominous but it reminded me of a viral video from back in 2012. The video was shot at the cancer ward at Seattle Children's Hospital. All of us have been through stuff in our lives including many of you who have direct contact with the dreaded 'C' word. I know we had all we could handle with the diagnosis, treatment, and subsequent passing of our baby sister, Kayla. I had not watched that video of those kids and staff pantomiming the Kelly Clarkson hit, 'Stronger' in a good long while. Ever since I discovered it, it has been a source of inspiration and encouragement. Sometimes when we are going through stuff we fail to remember our need for inspiration and encouragement. As I thought about these things I was reminded of this video. I called it up on YouTube and watched it. It was instructional and helpful in helping me to gain perspective. I felt like maybe someone somewhere out 'there' today might need what I needed, and, after all, our sharing of help in this life is nothing more than one beggar telling another beggar where they found food. The YouTube video alone has 4.3 million views and I know it is also available on several other platforms.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihGCj5mfCk8


The wife and I attended a memorial service last week. Even though we live in the huge Houston metroplex, there are still outlying areas that reflect downhome folksy living. Such was the theme and thrust of this dear lady's service. We knew this lady through her daughters and their families having spent some 20 years at the same local Church. She lived an exemplary life as a believer, a wife, mom, grandmother, and tireless servant of her Lord. God granted to her 86 years in her sojourn here. Talk about a celebratory feeling! She obviously enjoyed Bluegrass and the music reflected that. The two ministers didn't want to make her more than she was, knowing we all, at our best, are nothing more than sinners saved by grace. However, because of her heart and testimony that was made difficult. Everyone in the Funeral Home chapel wore masks and the place was as full as it could be with every other pew made unavailable. I know it will sound morbid to some, but, I really enjoyed this woman's homegoing service. Another long term beloved friend of ours told me as we stood out in the cemetery, "That's the kind of service I would hope they would have for me." There were lots of tears. However, there was a strong consensus regarding their loved one's status, "And now, dear brothers and sisters, we want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died so you will not grieve like people who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life again, we also believe that when Jesus returns, God will bring back with him the believers who have died." (1st Thessalonians 4:13-14, New Living Translation NLT)


Let me see what we've shared thus far, 'if it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger', and some upbeat information about death and dying. (Actually, living well.) Maybe I should lighten up a wee bit before we close today's chapter. While we all know the coronavirus is not a laughing matter to those whose lives have been turned upside down including the nearly 163,000 attributed deaths. At the same time, Americans always find a way to retrain their faces to smile. Here are a few I found to share with you today.  ~ Why do they call it the novel coronavirus? It’s a long story…. ~ What do you call panic-buying of sausage and cheese in Germany? The wurst-kase scenario. ~ Many of the nail salons, hair salons, waxing centers, and tanning places remain closed. It’s about to get ugly out there. ~ I’ll tell you a coronavirus joke now, but you’ll have to wait two weeks to see if you got it. ~ Finland just closed its borders. You know what that means. No one will be crossing the finish line. ~ So many coronavirus jokes out there, it’s a pundemic. ~ Did you hear the joke about the germ? Never mind, I don’t want to spread it around. ~ It's good to know the coronavirus doesn't mess with rats and snakes. That should make you feel safer. ~ I didn't say they were good. Maybe tomorrow. I couldn't even give you a preview because I will not know until I get there. Have a great rest of the day and may our Great God help us all. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: