Monday, December 2, 2019

“To the American People: Christmas is not a time or a season but a state of mind. To cherish peace and good will, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas. If we think on these things, there will be born in us a Savior and over us will shine a star sending its gleam of hope to the world.” ~Calvin Coolidge

Okay. We now put the Turkey Day behind us, but, not the thanksgiving spirit. It is Monday, December 2, 2019, therefore, I bid each and everyone a welcome to the official countdown to Christmas as we now usher in the Christmas season. The wife and I cannot deny our roles as Christmas performers, Santa and Mrs. Claus. Yet, we continue as we always have, to recognize what a true celebration of Christmas is all about, the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ. Some see celebrating our Savior and enjoying Santa as being a complete disconnect, however, we have never had an issue in honoring the joys associated with the season along with all the accompanying hoopla. If you can't get there, that's fine. I've had many tell me over the years they do not recognize or promote Santa in their celebration. I say, great! I've also had folks who are proven servants of the Christ of Christmas and they love enjoying Santa with their families. Do as your heart leads. I have a great pastor friend who used to preach against any type of festivity that is not Christ-centered, period. He and I talked about it many times. I had no problem with his stand. However, he no longer preaches that message and now leaves it up to the individuals to decide. I never attempted to persuade him but I have often shared my rationale for enjoying Santa, the presents, and all the rest, while, maintaining a laser focus on the Reason for the Season. Like I say, that may be a reach too far for some and if so, Amen, and praise the God who sent His one and only Son to be birthed in a stable by the Virgin Mary and laid in a lowly feeding trough. Hallelujah. Amen!

I haven't opined yet in any detail regarding our recent Thanksgiving Day family gathering. It is rare, in these times, to have our entire crew represented, but, we thank God for all those who came to celebrate with us. We had our three sons, their wives, their children, the children of their children, and, including the one who joined us late because of his work schedule, a total of 26 of us were together. The wife and I were humbled by this assembly of our clan, and, we outwardly thanked the God of heaven for His provision. The food was as wonderful as it typically is, if not kicked up a notch or two. We decided the food was better because of having all our group together. I know. That will not add up in the culinary world, but, it is how we added it up. We had a relish tray and a fruit tray. We had homemade yeast bread, three loaves. We had green bean casserole, potato salad, cornbread dressing, dumplings, English peas, smoked turkey, smoked spiral ham, cranberry sauce, and, that's all I could think of just off the cuff. We had iced tea and soft drinks of every variety. As for desserts we had three different made from scratch cheesecakes, pecan pie, and sweet potato pie along with Community Coffee for those who wanted it. You know I have to say this. I have no choice. My people, going way back, would be proud of the spread we shared. Best ever? Yep, but, again, it had a lot to do with seeing the faces of all those God has given to us in our family. Amen.

I'm sure that testimony was repeated over and over again by different families. But, not for everyone. The Santa I mentioned the other day taking chemo treatments, well, his large family all met at the restaurant because the current circumstances prohibited them from doing the traditional celebration they have long enjoyed. Many local charities fed thousands of people who were not able to provide a meal for themselves and their families. I think when my mom would question my 'best ever' comments, she was probably reminding me to stay humble. I sure hope I have my understanding clear that anytime we are able to enjoy time with family, it is a gift from God and it is not to be taken for granted. And, yes, I am aware the minute a person thinks of themselves as being humble, well, they just lost that status. I am grateful for my wife and her hard work. She began working on our feast the day before and was up in the early hours Thursday to continue. Her joy comes from seeing her children enjoy the labor of her hands. I was more or less The Observer and Chief, standing by to taste, and keeping a keen eye as I drank my Community. I saw her doing five things at one time. When I did, I saw her mom, her sister, my mom, my sisters, and my grandmother because truly ours is a legacy celebration. As for those who did their thing in the restaurant, I'm sure them being together to support and honor their dad as he deals with this new challenge, that could have made their celebration the best ever as well. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: