Tuesday, December 17, 2019

From the movie, 'It's a Wonderful Life', Little Harry Bailey: "To my big brother George, the richest man in town!"

Good Tuesday morning, and, I do bid you a hearty hello and welcome to our fireside chat for today. In a manner of speaking, on this, December 17, 2019. There are things that children tell Santa that become priceless memories and at times Santa can hardly hold back the tears. One little girl recently responded to the presumed question, 'What do you want for Christmas?' by simply saying, 'Daddy'. Her aunt shared with us how the little girl's dad had recently passed away. The same question, another sweet young lady responded, "You know, I have pretty much everything I need so we are thinking more about what we might be able to give away to help someone who is in need." Mrs. Claus and I nearly fell out of our chairs. Last Saturday we ran into a 13-year-old Hispanic girl. Part of the program was to have the children write a letter to Santa. I kept hers and here is why,

Dear Santa,

     I want to have 2 law and politics books so I can be a lawyer or detective when I grow up. If I do, then I can help my mom and dad provide food and shelter for others and ourselves. I have 2 sisters and I want to be a role model for them so that they don't go down the wrong path. I also want an Art Kit for my sister Jennifer.

     Thank you and Merry Christmas Santa and Mrs. Claus.

Sincerely,

Yueli

That girl had a sparkle in her eyes and her dad said she was an excellent student. I don't doubt that. Her family had qualified as a recipient of some free gifts for the younger children. I was so glad to be there. I was even more happy to have met a young lady named Yueli.

Loving on children at this year's Montgomery County Sheriff's Blue Elf charity function.
That Saturday escapade turned out to be a 12-hour marathon for the Claus duo. The first venue was held at a huge package processing facility in Cypress Texas. It was an outgrowth of a group of FedEx employees who came together to help support those devastated by Hurricane Harvey. This was their first Christmas outreach and they were able to provide up to 2 bicycles for needy families. After spending four hours there we headed back up to our home base area to show up as special guests at a family Christmas reunion. We were mobbed by the children. Mrs. Claus read The Night Before Christmas, followed by reading the true meaning of Christmas as given in Luke Chapter 2. We then hurried up to Conroe for the Montgomery Sheriff's Department Operation Blue Elf where we sat for photos for over 4 hours. I later read a news report saying more than 1100 children received gifts with many of them getting new bikes. Again, we feel so blessed to have the stamina and the opportunity to participate in events where the heart of giving is front and center. Thank you, Lord, for your provision. Amen.

We often hear people tell us that our Christmas portrayal is a ministry. We don't see it that way because so much of what we do we are paid to show up. However, this past Saturday may have been closer to some aspects of ministry since it was predominately an outreach to needy families. And, Mrs. Claus loves to have the opportunity to share from the Bible the real meaning of Christmas. Our circle at our local fellowship can better identify with the aches and pains that come with our age. They typically ask the pertinent questions about how tired and worn out we are. Bingo! But, we can't be anything other than thankful we are able to do what we do. Because we are in our circle, we do know many who would not be able to. Does that make us some kind of super-strong people? Nope. Not even a little. We are blessed from above and that is our story. And, just so you know, those aches and pains are still hanging on but as they used to tell me when I was a kid, "Don't worry son, this too will pass." Amen. .....More later.

No comments: