Thursday, December 26, 2019

“Keep your friends close, your enemies closer, and receipts for all major purchases.” – Bridger Winegar

Good morning and welcome. It is the Day After Christmas, Thursday, December 26, 2019. Based on the Google topics I saw, it can be a letdown day for some folks who have trouble dealing with holidays. So much was posted on Facebook where people were reminiscing about their loved ones who are no longer with them. I thought about those in my immediate family and those in my extended family and those who were near and dear to me. That's a long list. I thought some about the last Christmas I could recollect with those who have gone on to their reward. I actually did not feel depressed or down, but, it did bring tears as I replayed those archived memories. One that always comes to mind was the last Christmas of my baby sister, Kayla. Based on everything she knew, she was aware her time was short. We were all gathered at mom's and dad's in Louisiana. Kayla announced she had something to share. She had written a letter where she addressed some thoughts of love and aspirations for every person, and, she read it to us. Lots of crying, laughing, but, a memory that we all would never forget. Kayla hated the thought of leaving her three little girls and her family, but, she had such an overwhelming assurance of God's presence in her life, she was ready to see her Lord. Six months later she was promoted to her eternal reward. Her testimony and her influence including her Christmas letter live on in our hearts today. Amen.

We had another phenomenal family gathering on Christmas Day. Over 20 of us celebrated our love one for another. It was super. Yes. I am trying to stay away from the 'best ever' superlative. Thanks for noticing. We were missing one granddaughter's family due to some scheduling issues, but, they are coming soon to see us. We missed them, but, things happen. Part of dealing with life is in knowing these things happen. The weather was gorgeous. Sure. We long for the cool at Christmastime, but, with the huge cookout I did, the moderate day was nearly perfect. Nearly. Not the best ever, but, nearly perfect. The gifts are a hoot. The food turned out great. (Twenty grilled steaks, a huge pile of chicken grilled, and all the trimmings.) MiMi reading the birth narrative from the Scriptures is always a highpoint. When it is all said and done, it's family and us being together that makes the day special. For me, it's hearing a dozen conversations going on at the same time. It's seeing the little ones passed from one to the other so everyone gets the joy of loving on them. When I laid my head on my pillow last night I said, "Lord, you gave us another blessed time together and for that, I am so grateful." Amen.

I heard several talking about them returning to work today. Their places of employment are so busy. Now, that's a blessing too! It's a good thing when businesses are prospering. I can remember those lean times when we took off the whole week and were encouraged with what was called a liberal leave approach. Sure. It was good to be off, but, on balance, having stuff that needs to get done is better. Trust me on that one. I do hope everyone had a good Christmas. The wife and I more or less collapsed after the smoke cleared. We were watching the top 40 incidents of 2019 from Live PD, but, I would be hard-pressed to recollect very many of them. I was in my recliner doing a warmup for my long winter's nap. The wife was across the room doing the same thing. Mr. Bentley alternated between the two of us. He likes to snooze at the end of the recliner between our feet. He had had a long and exciting day as well. Now, we move on. You too. With God's help. Have a good one and may God bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: