Friday, December 13, 2019

"Don't be superstitious. Nothing will happen on Friday the 13th that cannot happen on Saturday the 14th." ~ unknown

Hello out there. I welcome you to our work-in-progress status update that I try to do on a Monday through Friday basis. Today's check-in lands on Friday, December 13, 2019. Even in December, I heard someone talking about dreading today since it is the 13th. Even at Christmastime? Surely not. I suppose that's an indication of how superstition can become ingrained into the culture. For those bothered by all the 13th related shenanigans, here are some thoughts to help you lighten up a little. ~ Friday the 13th simply means that many people will blame witchcraft for their regular stupidity. ~ I'd be more concerned about Friday the 13th if my life wasn't already a never-ending inexplicable series of events. ~ The only thing worse would be if Friday the 13th fell on a Monday. ~ Blonde: I heard Christmas falls on a Friday this year, I sure hope it's not the 13th. ~ You will notice I didn't use any of the movies, Jason, or related references. There are thousands of them available. Since I never watched any of those movies I really can't relate. Don't get me wrong. I recognize the hockey mask motif and the clips that show up from time to time, but, it may be just me, but, I have zero interest in becoming more aware of them. They may be your favorites. If so, go for it, and, try not to walk under any ladders today, don't break a mirror, and whatever you do, don't let that neighborhood black cat cross in front of you.

Here's a paragraph I wrote 12 years ago about how special the month of December is to us.  ~  December Is A Big Month For Us! If you have been reading my blogs you know that I have a desire to keep Christmas in context. You might not realize that we are nowhere in the Scriptures instructed to celebrate the birth of our Savior. Actually, we are not instructed to have a special day set aside at Easter to celebrate His resurrection. We are, however, given the pattern of the early Church meeting on the first day of the week, Sunday, and it appears this was done because of His resurrection on that day. We do have clear instructions that we are to commemorate His death whenever we partake of the Supper He instituted. Therefore, it is important for us to keep these things in mind even while we enjoy this special season of the year, Christmastime. That alone makes December a big month. ~

I had to be out and about yesterday and it carried me close to my most recent workplace. So, I dropped by to see everyone. I had spent the majority of my waking hours with these folks for a twelve-year stint. It is always good to feel a warm welcome when you visit. From the owners down to the shop workers, what a blessing to see those I had rubbed elbows with on a day in and day out basis. When we did the 600 folks at the school last week they had handed us a stack of letters to Santa. We didn't really want the letters but we took them. The next day I received an email asking us to return the letters. Really? I wasn't too happy about having to drive all the way over to that school, but, as it turned out, it put me in the neighborhood of my old Company, I dropped by, had a blessed time of fellowship, and, ended up thanking God for having to return the letters to Santa. I don't know if that makes any sense or not, but, it is my story and I am, at least for now, sticking to it. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday, and I will do my best, with God's provision, to see you next time here at the ole blogger ranch. May God bless. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: