Wednesday, September 11, 2019

“My father, Norberto, was a pastry chef at ­Windows on the World in Tower One. For 10 years, he made many fancy and famous ­desserts, but the sweetest dessert he made was the marble cake he made for us at home. … Whenever we parted, Poppi would say, ‘Te amo. Vaya con Dios.’ And this morning, I want to say the same thing to you, Poppi. I love you. Go with God.” —Catherine Hernandez at the World Trade Center site in 2008

9/11 Memorial, New York City.
Welcome, welcome, welcome, one and all, including those who are reading intentionally and also those who landed on this blog by accident, maybe looking for something else. Consider that it might not have been an accident. There just might be something here for any and everyone. It is Wednesday, September 11, 2019, and, yes, I am remembering to remember the depraved act of destruction occurring on this day, 18 years ago. Here are the stats: "2,977 people were killed (excluding the 19 hijackers) and more than 6,000 others injured. The immediate deaths included 265 on the four planes (including the terrorists), 2,606 in the World Trade Center and in the surrounding area, and 125 at the Pentagon." This heinous act resulted from the September 11 attacks (also referred to as 9/11) reflecting a series of four coordinated terrorist attacks by the Islamic terrorist group al-Qaeda against the United States. Estimates put the additional deaths at over 1,000 as a result of exposure and other residual contamination on the part of first responders and others. I know where I was when I received the news. I'm sure many of my readers do too. I remember the aftermath, the sense of shock on the part of our entire nation, the coming together in unity of our people, and, yes, the seeking of our Creator God as people sought His provision and protection. Today, we think also about the families forever altered as a result of this calamitous event. Let us never forget those who died and also those who continue to deal with the aftermath of this tragic event. May God heal. Amen.

Those attacking us back in 2001 spent less than $500,000 to achieve their goals. The tallied cost to our country passed the $3 trillion mark back in 2008. And, we all know, the imbedded cost continues as this single act significantly changed the day by day life of our nation. Airport security. Need I say more? Since our government rightly becomes the broker for all of this unprecedented spending, it follows there is by default oodles of bloated bureaucracy that has come along with the price tag. The other side of the coin has to do with effectiveness. Generally speaking, the additional security measures have worked, however, in individual testings, there have been continued issues and lapses identified. Those who hate us and our way of life think they won on that fateful day and our response has been what they were after. They see it as a win as we live looking over our shoulder and spending untold resources to protect from another $500,000 attack. I know we all were more or less in agreement to give a blank check to do whatever was needed to offset this threat. This makes sense, however, we have created a black hole of spending that will likely continue to grow in perpetuity. Again: Let us never forget those who died and also those who continue to deal with the aftermath of this tragic event. May God heal. Amen.

I didn't do so well on my efforts to fill up my pew at our special service last Monday evening. I invited nearly 100 folks and had five who showed up. The fellow who had the most guests had seven. I do thank those who came and helped me not to have zero. As for the service itself, the song says, "heaven came down and glory filled my soul'. Filled up with conviction. Filled up with love for a God who sent His one and only Son to die for me. Filled up with a sense of urgency in reaching others so they can spend eternity in heaven instead of their current destination, hell. The music was amazing. The preaching was direct and it landed where I live. That's because the Holy Spirit was at work and welcome in our meeting place. There's still time for any and all living in this area. We have three more Monday nights coming up with special services beginning at 6:30 p.m. at Mims Baptist, Conroe, Texas. I can assure anyone who comes: You will hear from God. I can't predict what you or I might say in response to Him, but, we all will hear from Him. I do hope each one will have a good rest of this day, and, may God add His blessings. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: