Tuesday, September 24, 2019

“Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.” ― Kevin Durant

It's Tuesday, September 24, 2019, and I am beginning to be reminded that we are moving towards the countdown to Christmas. It's only 92 days. The photo above was one we shot last year with a new professional photographer. She is using it as a promo for the upcoming season. We will be working with her again this year as well as two additional new professionals. Our actual scheduling begins in early November. Based on what we already have on our calendar, we will be busy again this year. If we are able. Lord willing. I say that because we realize that life becomes more fragile as the years roll on. Anything at any time can happen. At the promo photoshoot I did in August I was reminded of the tremendous responsibility I have when working with children. After working for over an hour, a young mom showed up with her infant. Shooting photos with a baby is a whole different set-up. They walked over and handed the little one to me. Many different shots close up and I was handling the little one up and down, in my arms, and close to my cheek. I look forward to seeing some of those photos! At the same time, I must tell you it is draining and intimidating because of the preciousness of the subject being handled and photographed. Yep. Go ahead. Admit it. You thought there couldn't be an easier job. Right? I have a prepared response: Think again, Bucko!

It's not as if I don't have ample proof that even Santas face health challenges. I am part of a number of Santa Claus sharing groups on Facebook. While it is a small fraternity, there are several thousand who identify themselves as professionals. From time to time, one of my brothers in red will post a prayer request because of their failing health, or a particular health crisis. Some have lamented the fact they will be unable to sit in the chair this season. Some, even worse, with life-threatening diagnoses. Sure, many of these are older than I am. Some aren't. They love being Santa and often ask questions about Santa in a wheelchair or Santa wearing a knee brace, and things of that sort. I'm not trying to chase a black cloud here, but, a reality check is always a good thing to do. I do hope, with God's help, that I will know when it is time to put my uniform away. We are blessed. We enjoy doing what we do, but, unlike many Santas, it is not a job we need. There are some who depend on their work as Santa to help supplement their livelihoods. Not being able to be Santa is a huge hit for them. Like I say, we are blessed. The funds we receive from the paid events we do is nice. It gives me another opportunity to complain about how much of them go to paying our taxes. My point? The old saying I've heard since I was a kid comes to mind, "All good things must come to an end."

As we get ready for our 10th year, and, as I write today's blog, I am pretty much feeling good and ready to go. I do wish I had more stamina because I do tend to fade more quickly as the work continues. This might be one reason why I always try to get Mrs. Claus as part of our venues. She is my helpmeet over these nearly 55 years and she brings me a lot of confidence just having her beside me. I end up doing quite a few solo events, however, I always do much better when Mrs. Claus is there with me. She often trivializes her contributions, but, she shouldn't question The Santa because after all is said and done, "He knows when you are sleeping, he knows when you're awake, he knows if you've been good or bad, so be good for goodness sake!" And, she is one of the most popular Mrs. Clauses ever. That, my friend, is a proven fact. For her, bringing joy to children of all ages, well, it comes naturally. Truth be known, I need all the help I can get. Have yourself a jolly little rest of the day, and may God bless us, one and all. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: