Monday, September 9, 2019

“I was drinking in the surroundings: air so crisp you could snap it with your fingers and greens in every lush shade imaginable offset by autumnal flashes of red and yellow.” ― Wendy Delsol, Author

Time to get back to it. That is how it works for so many who are still punching the back-to-work Monday clock, on this September 9, 2019. I did look at the forecast for the rest of September, and, if it helps, we are supposed to get some overnights in the mid to low 60s towards the end of the month. That's not so much of a cool down, but, it is so much better than the heat hangover we are currently dealing with, I'll take it. Lord willing, Mr. Bentley and I will do our best to be sitting outside before dawn on those days to enjoy the moderating temps. Me, sipping on some good strong Community Coffee, and Mr. Bentley sitting either in his chair next to me or all balled up under my chair, snoozing, while visions of his favorite reward treats dance in his head. I can't remember the last time we had regular seasonal autumn in our area. You know. The air cool and crisp as we begin to smell some early fireplaces being checked out. According to The Farmers Almanac, the last frost in our area was this past March 9, and they predict our first frost of the season will land on November 23rd. I think I will mark that one in my calendar book. Our family always enjoys cooler weather for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but, we also know how to celebrate if Bermuda shorts and t-shirts are called for. If all else fails, we can watch movies like 'White Christmas' and hope for the best.

When I was growing up we typically started back to school after Labor Day. The winds of change would have already been started as we anticipated the upcoming winter. That's right. Winter. Cold weather. We had our fair share of it where I grew up. I should know. The room where us boys slept had no heat whatsoever and I can remember hitting that floor and my feet sticking to the linoleum rug. That's bad enough, but, running out of the bedroom to get to the kitchen where the stove was on, could land you on your backside if and when you hit that one place where the linoleum stuck up about an inch. We may not have known any really bad words back then, but, we no doubt invented some babbling outbursts that left little to the imagination. Talk about a wake-up call on a cold morning! If I was up before Paw Paw left for work, he would look at me hugging the stove and he would pose an all too familiar question, "Son, what in the world are you going to do when it really gets cold?" I heard that one so many times. When we were out cutting wood for the fireplace. When we were breaking the ice on mud puddles as we made our way to the place where we would be standing to watch for deer. I think I learned to deal with the cold because I must have gotten tired of hearing him say that. I think I seem to remember thanking him much later for helping me to develop some mind over matter when out in the stiff icy wind. (Not to mention how I, as a teenager, became the undisputed king of any and all freeze out competitions.)

Here's something that can be a potential heaven-sent blessing to any and all. Beginning this evening at 6:30 p.m., our local fellowship of believers, Mims Baptist, Conroe, will be having a series of Monday evening services for the rest of September. They are called Marvelous Monday Nights. Tonight we have one of the most widely respected preachers in our country, Dr. Johnny Hunt. We will also have the great gospel singer soloist Joseph Haberdank. Our local fellowship has been praying about and looking forward to these services for several months. Some might wonder if this is a revival emphasis. You can't schedule a revival. Calling it a revival doesn't make it one. I will tell you that God is the instigator of a heaven-sent revival, therefore, we believe there will be a great opportunity for folks to be touched by God in these services. Anyone, anywhere, is welcome to come and be our guest. Come as you are and who knows what God might do? Me too! May God show up in a mighty way is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: