Friday, December 9, 2016

"Go the extra mile. It’s never crowded." ~ unknown

Our middle son's four, 2009, three of them are now in college.
Today. Friday. Yay! December 9, 2016. Since last Friday I've sat in the Santa chair for many hours, doing eight events with another one scheduled this evening. I've dealt one on one with literally hundreds of children and the song they sing in Church comes to mind, "Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world, red, yellow, brown, black and white, they are precious in His sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world." For you purists, you will no doubt notice I inserted 'brown' into the song. Believe me, I've been up close and personal with many brown faces during this most recent run. I think many of you know that I have a huge soft spot for those with special needs. This past week I've had some with severe physical limitations. I've had some in their 40's who still have the mind of a child. I've even had one young man who suffers from an extremely rare, always fatal, neurological disease. At age 14, he has been living on borrowed time for several years. He loves Santa. I've had those missing their mom or dad who serves in the military. I had one ten-year-old girl who almost teared up when she plainly told me all she wanted for Christmas was for her mom to find a husband. One little girl gave me a long whispered explanation for why they were running late. It had something to do with her dad and his problems in the bathroom. Her mom had a puzzled look on her face as this young lady unfolded her little story. Oh yeah, I've had a handful of screamers. Some of them very strong and I might add, very good at kicking. I'm am so proud to relate how that my number one companion, Mrs. Claus, has made every joint appearance, and she has, as always, captivated those who came to see us. I think it is safe to say that I did bite off more than I should have for this season, however, I do sleep very well at night. In fact, the other evening after we got home, I thought I might relax a little in my recliner. It was funny because after about 45 minutes I woke up and called out for Mrs. Claus. For a few seconds, I didn't have a clue where I was.

Tired already of my Santa related stories? Sorry, but I'm pretty sure you've not even begun to have heard the last of these stories. You have my permission, not as if you needed it, to change the channel anytime you feel like it. That reminds me of the main TV remote controller we have at home. It is way past its prime. It is very challenging but I am the master in using it. Let me point out that we do have a brand new modern device given to us by our eldest son, however, it requires set up that I've not bothered to research yet. How long? Not that it makes any difference, but, I think we've had the new one for a couple of years. At any rate, the old one causes lots of consternation around our place. It's a wonder the wife hasn't thrown it against the wall. You have to baby it. Talking to it helps also. And, you do have to get into a variety of different positions before he can align himself with the correct telemetry required to change a channel. (I actually count those gyrations as exercise points. They give me something to tell my doctor when he asks.) The remote and I are not helped in the least by all the decorations surrounding access points. But that's a subject that I've learned will get me nowhere, fast. He and I, working together, has become somewhat of a ritual. The good news is that once he can be coaxed to get up and going, he does a very reasonable job. What more could we ask?

Never get the idea that I am complaining about burning the candle at both ends. No one is more thankful for me being physically able to juggle my schedule and scramble in trying to be in two places at the same time. Or it seems that way at times. Thankful. Last Monday when we were at the senior adult special needs apartment complex, one lady didn't want to have her photo made with Santa based on her religious convictions. I told her I totally understood her point of view, and I do. I've shared many times how that, growing up, we were 100% aware of the real meaning of Christmas. Always. We also were allowed to enjoy Santa Claus. Others see it differently. The commercial aspects involved will always be an issue. I mentioned to someone the other day about the new drivable Cinderella carriage being promoted by the world's largest big box store company. You've likely seen those TV ads for it. Guess what? They work. Little girls are asking for that carriage. At the same time, I've concluded the wife and I are in the joy dispensing business. That may be self-serving but think about the brief enjoyment we are able to bring to those special needs children, and I think you will see where I am coming from. To see where I am coming from, well, that might be a reach, so please don't hurt yourself trying. Thanks for tuning into this channel this week. Enjoy your Saturday, (we purposely have nothing scheduled that day), and remember to meet up with others at the place of worship on Lord's Day Sunday. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: