Thursday, November 7, 2013

"Welcome to Facebook. The Weather today: An 80% chance of game requests, a 10% chance of pokes, and a 100% certainty of drama...." (copied, unattributed)

That would be correct. It is Thursday, November 7, 2013, and I bring you greetings from your unappointed but observant observer of any and all things that happen to cross my path. Ever get the feeling that you might be just a little too plugged in? I already know that I am so I don't have to wonder one way or the other. I run into people occasionally who are basically oblivious to most of what's going on in the world. What about politics? What about world events? What about all the shenanigans going on locally? Here's how they respond: I couldn't tell you. I didn't see or hear about that. I must have missed that one. It's not a head in the sand mentality. They just choose to tune out the static and focus their time on things they consider to be important to them and their family. I find myself wondering if I should pity them or be envious of their viewpoint. I often wake up in the morning hungry to know what happened in the overnight news cycle. Just the headlines. The details can wait until I have more time. Maybe there's one of those hotlines I can call. Until then I suppose I will seek to find better balance. That's it. I think I am going to spend some time soon thinking about how to do that. Maybe soon. We shall see.

I will tell you that some of my being plugged in is for sheer entertainment value. I'm sorry. I know it sounds somewhat perverse but I get a huge kick out of hearing the silly stuff that Jay Carney comes up with each day as the Press Secretary for the President. He typically does a briefing and answers questions from the White House Press Corp maybe three or four times a week. To me, it is better than stand up comedy. How he can keep a straight face when explaining some of the nonsense he is sent out to convey is beyond me. I still occasionally go back and watch those Bush versus Gore parodies of the Presidential debates as run on Saturday Night Live. Isn't that political stuff? It's a parody that sought to capture the mannerisms of both candidates and it was hilarious then and it is hilarious now. To me. Don't get me wrong. I am well aware that the issues that Jay Carney talks about are serious and in many respects, deadly serious. However, it is still amusing to watch him spin and squirm. To me. It's okay. Don't get yourself all bothered. I like Sponge Bob too.

Yesterday marked my 7th year of working here at the Company. What's that? It's remarkable they have put up with me for this long? My thoughts exactly. But, it has been an interesting experience that I am so thankful for. During my time here I've crossed paths with some real characters and sadly we've had to say farewell to several who have gone on to their reward. What's that? Do I think they also think I am a character? That would be obvious my friend. The other day someone was talking about the potential for a new process. I asked about the difficulty involved. They said they thought it would be so easy that I might even have a shot at doing it. See what I mean? First it was the Moon Pies and now the sarcastic jokes. It never ends for me. But don't feel too badly about it because I'm one of those who absolutely enjoys getting up everyday and coming to work. I also feel appreciated and respected here and that's not too bad of a gig if you ask me. Maybe it's the white hair. I'll have to get back to you on that one. Have a good rest of the day and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: