Monday, November 18, 2013

"I get no respect. The way my luck is running, if I was a politician I would be honest." ~ Rodney Dangerfield

Welcome back to the blog factory. This one happens to operate out of an undisclosed location here at the ole blogger ranch. It supposedly reflects gray matter musings but some days it doesn't seem to display enough gray to be recognized as such. But, thanks for tuning in where I bid you a hearty hello on this Monday, November 18, 2013. The continuing saga involving the new healthcare law is being lampooned by all sides. The 'if you like it you can keep it' pledge made 25 or more times by the President has become the punch line to all kinds of puns and jokes. The in-the-tank Kool Aid drinking mainstream press have tried just about every way possible to spin it so that it is less damaging. One of the major news organizations said the President's statement was in error and it did mislead people but it appeared to them to be unintentional. A recently published book by a former White House staffer revealed the pledge was actually vetted before the President used it with many on his team advising against saying it. The NY Times may win the award for their jewel: "It was an incorrect promise." Okay. Here's my take. He said it in order to get the law passed. Period. End of story. It could never have been true from the get go because of how the implementation of the law was structured as required within the law itself. Bottom line: It was known to be a false statement all along. No spinning can change that.

I know. There's supposedly a fix in the works. Many believe the rule change the President announced will not be effective. It's most likely the story of too little too late. In politics it's hard to get that Geni back into the bottle. It's like seeing a traffic accident developing in front of your very eyes. It hasn't happened yet but it is only a matter of time. I watch quite a lot of NASCAR racing where accidents are a normal part of the program. It is amazing at times when a driver misses a big one by the hair of his or her chinny chin chin. It's one thing to watch that on television. It's another to watch it as one drives around the metroplex. Some days it seems that near miss is the name of the driving experience. The other day while stopped at a traffic signal I saw a driver cross three lanes of traffic to get into the middle lane going in the opposite direction. They could not see a fellow speeding down that middle lane heading right for them. At the last second the crossing driver floored it and went into the regular lanes past the oncoming middle lane driver and avoided the big one by a hair, literally. Let's hope this oncoming healthcare collision will somehow avoid the big one that ends up wrecking us all in the process.

Some say you shouldn't criticize this program if you don't have a way to fix our broken system. While I understand that point of view, I can say that whatever the answers are to improving healthcare for people in our nation, I am 100% against any system that is totally dominated and run by the government. Have there been abusive practices by insurance companies in the past? Absolutely. Those should be curbed. Are there too many poor people without access to healthcare? Of course there are. Again, my objection is not necessarily directed towards fixes that need to be implemented, but, I think this roll out speaks volumes about why government needs to be limited. Just last week I read where the IRS sent hundreds of millions of dollars in refunds to fake filers residing in foreign countries. I rest my case. Have a good rest of the day Monday and I'll try to lighten up a little for tomorrow. May God bless each one is my prayer. Amen.    ....More later. 

No comments: