Friday, November 22, 2013

“We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who Comes on at five She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam In her eye It's interesting when people die - Give us dirty laundry..." Don Henley

Here comes Friday. I can assure you my friend that it is a sight for sore eyes for me on this November 22, 2013. Thanksgiving is next week. Does it seem like it came early this year to you? (It's actually late on the calendar.) It sure does to me but maybe that's the age related run away mental treadmill that speeds everything up. You can't make this up. One local station reported on this major potential downer for next week's celebration. That was the teaser because it is the November Sweeps where they calculate viewers and set advertising rates. What was the you'd better-stay-tuned to find out issue? A shortage of Butterball fresh, never frozen turkeys. That's it? They then interviewed people from local major grocery chains. They said they had not been notified of any shortage, nor had they seen any change in their deliveries. It's pretty sad when folks don't realize the huge black cloud hanging over them that they can't even see. Now here's the payoff. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but the very next story they ran was one showing how one large chain was once again donating 15,000 turkeys to give to needy families. Let me summarize for you. We have a major crisis brewing about a turkey shortage but the folks who sell them don't know about it. And, even though there's this huge crisis, someone was able to secure 15,000 to give away. Must see TV? I don't think so.

Let me throw out something as a source of thankfulness. Old fashioned fall has returned to this neck of the woods. Wowee Zowee! I'm talking about the changing of the colors.You know. Like those you see presented on one of those calendars with photos taken up East. Well, we have it here for this year and it is something to behold. The drought over the last several years have robbed us of this natural masterpiece but this year's rain has brought it back. I'm not saying the trees haven't been undergoing seasonal change and while they did eventually lose their leaves, it's not even close to the same.  Not on your life. I have had the opportunity to drive down some remote country roads and I'll just tell you the woods are alive with color and that adds so much to this time of year as we prepare for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I count this as a blessing along with the memories it evokes.

Happy Birthday Stefani!
It doesn't take much to get you excited, does it? Maybe not. And, maybe it comes with age but I thank God for this creation induced spontaneous calamity of colors. Last but certainly not least, I pause to recognize the birthday of our granddaughter Stefani who turns 20 years young today. This is our eldest Chris and wife Sherrie's baby girl. God has been so good to allow us to be close to our grand kids as we have been able to watch them develop and grow. Stef loves to spend time with us, especially with her MiMi. I'm not sure exactly how that works because it used to be Poppy who was the main attraction. However, I've seen it now repeated often enough to know that it is obviously a girl thing and a natural development. We look forward to celebrating with Stef this evening and we pray God's best into her life. Happy Birthday Sweetheart from your MiMi and Poppy.

That should do it for this week. I am working on a lesson for Sunday that will reflect on illustrations from the Bible of a truly grateful heart. That's something we all could use. Take care now and have yourself a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. Lord willing I will be here in my place doing my thing come next Monday. May God bless each one. Amen.         .....More later.

No comments: